Eunice loves to cook food from her native Nigerian cuisine and share her recipes with others.
This style of shawarma is sold in stands all over Nigeria. It is widely loved, and it is usually paired with a soda.
I think what sets this shawarma apart is its moistness. The sauce is used generously, which makes it moist instead of dry.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
4 medium shawarmas
For the shawarma:
- 1 kilo chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup unsweetened yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 pocket pita bread
- 1 teaspoon cumin
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce or 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha sauce or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup purple cabbage (for color)
- 1 cup cabbage
- 1 medium carrot
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix garlic powder, cumin, salt, paprika, cayenne, unsweetened yogurt, vegetable oil and two bouillon cubes. Place the chicken breasts in the mixture, coat completely, and place in the fridge to marinate for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, mix all of the liquid ingredients for the filling except for the cabbage and carrot.
- Slice the cabbage thinly and grate the carrot. Combine and mix the cabbage and carrot in a bowl.
- After the chicken breasts have marinated for 1 hour, take the bowl out of the fridge and place the breasts on the grill. (You can cut the chicken thinly and put it on a skewer or simply place it directly on the grill. You can also use an oiled non-stick pan to grill.)
- Heat up the hot dogs on a grill or in a pan.
- Once the chicken is grilled and cooled somewhat, shred the meat.
- Separate pocket pita bread into two thin sheets.
- Spread sauce generously on the inner side of one bread sheet.
- Add veggies and 1 hot dog.
- Add shredded chicken.
- Wrap it up with both bread sheets.
- Repeat until all ingredients have been used. up.
- Grill the shawarmas starting with folded side. The heat of the pan or grill will seal the wrap.