I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
What Is Black Gulaman?
Black gulaman is a popular Asian drink. This refreshment is made with ice-cold water sweetened with gulaman (black jelly) and arnibal (brown sugar syrup).
In the Philippines, this is a staple drink that is commonly sold not only in restaurants but also in street stalls. It is usually paired with snacks such as pancit, turon, fish balls, and dumplings, to name few. Let me show you an easy-to-follow recipe for this delicious drink.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 6 people
For the Gulaman:
- 25 grams black gulaman powder
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 cups water
For the Arnibal:
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large bowls
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 small bowl
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- cooking spoon
- jelly molder (see photo) or any container
- In a pot, pour in water. Dilute brown sugar and black gulaman powder.
- Bring it to boil. Mix once to ensure that there are no lumps.
- Transfer the mixture in a jelly molder or container. Let it cool a bit.
- Cover each molder or container before storing it inside the fridge.
- In a pan, pour in water. Bring it to a boil.
- Stir in brown sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Add the vanilla essence. Let it boil. Stir it once in a while.
- Reduce mixture until the texture becomes syrupy. Once done, transfer it in a bowl. Let it cool down.
- Remove gulaman from the fridge. Slice it into cubes. Set aside.
- In a glass, assemble the black gulaman drink by adding the sliced jelly, cold water, syrup, and ice cubes.
- Serve with your favorite snack.
Black Gulaman Video Tutorial
Tips and Techniques
- Adjust the amount of syrup based on your desired sweetness.
- Replace vanilla essence with a vanilla pod for a stronger flavor.
- Add more gulaman if preferred.
- Omit brown sugar to produce an unsweetened black gulaman.
- Use sweet grass jelly in can instead of powdered black gulaman to achieve a more authentic flavor.
More Refreshing Drink Recipes
- How to Make Tokyo Tokyo Red Iced Tea: A Japanese-Inspired Drink
Have you ever eaten at Tokyo Tokyo? It's the most popular Japanese food restaurant chain in the Philippines. This restaurant offers a variety of delicious foods and drinks. Learn how I re-created their famous red iced tea at home.
- How to Make Kalamansi Granita: A Sicilian-Inspired Frozen Dessert
Granita is a popular Sicilian frozen dessert made with water, sugar, and fruit flavorings. Try this recipe for a refreshing kalamansi granita.
© 2019 Travel Chef
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on October 10, 2019:
Hi Louise It's. a popular drink in Asian. One of the simplest drink that can be prepared even at home.
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on October 10, 2019:
I've never heard of this drink before, but it sounds really nice. I think I would enjoy this.