How to Cook Cheesy Ensaladang Talong (Eggplant Salad)
What Is Ensaladang Talong?
Ensaladang talong, or eggplant salad, is a common Filipino side dish for fried or grilled dishes. It typically consists of eggplant, tomato, onion, vinegar, and shrimp paste. In this recipe, I made my own version of eggplant salad, but I omitted some of the usual ingredients. I also decided to add cheese.
- 3 eggplants
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- Cheese, grated, as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 large bowls
- 3 medium bowls
- chopping board
- measuring cups
- Prick the eggplants using a fork. Set aside.
- Pour water into a pot. Allow it to boil.
- Add the eggplants. Cook until tender.
- Once the eggplants are tender, turn off the heat. Remove the eggplants from the water. Allow them to cool down a little bit.
- Slit one side of each eggplant. Lay them out on a pan so they are wide open (skin side down).
- Mix the chopped onion and tomato in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon this mixture on top of the eggplants. Add grated cheese on top.
- Cook the cheesy ensaladang talong on the stove until the cheese has melted. Make sure to cover the pan.
- Serve hot.
Tips and Techniques
- Finish cooking the dish in the oven until the cheese has completely melted.
- Use an easy-to-melt cheese.
- Remove the eggplant skin, if desired.
- Serve as a main dish or side dish.
More Healthy and Delicious Eggplant Recipes
- How to Cook Poqui Poqui: A Filipino-Inspired Dish
Do you enjoy eating scrambled eggs? Try this healthy version of poqui poqui, a popular regional dish from the northern part of the Philippines.
- How to Cook Binagoongang Talong With Longaniza
Do you enjoy eating eggplant or aubergine? Add an Asian twist to your eggplant by cooking it with bagoong alamang or shrimp paste. Try my own simple dish of binagoongang talong with longaniza.
Questions & Answers
© 2019 Travel Chef