How to Cook Cheesy Ensaladang Talong (Eggplant Salad)
What Is Ensaladang Talong?
Ensaladang talong, or eggplant salad, is a common Filipino side dish for fried or grilled dishes. It typically consists of eggplant, tomato, onion, vinegar, and shrimp paste. In this recipe, I made my own version of eggplant salad, but I omitted some usual ingredients and I also decided to add cheese.
- 3 eggplants
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- cheese, grated, as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 large bowl
- 3 medium bowls
- chopping board
- measuring cups
- Prick eggplants using a fork. Set aside.
- Pour water in a pot. Allow it to boil.
- Add eggplants. Cook until tender.
- Once the eggplants are tender, turn off the heat. Remove eggplants from the water. Allow them to cool down a little bit.
- Slit one side of each eggplant. Lay them out on a pan so they are wide open (skin side down).
- Mix chopped onion and tomato in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture on top of the eggplants. Add grated cheese on top.
- Cook cheesy ensaladang talong on the stove until cheese has melted. Make sure to cover the pan.
- Serve hot.
Step-by-Step: Cheesy Ensaladang Talong
Tips and Techniques
- Finish cooking the dish in the oven until the cheese has completely melted.
- Use easy-to-melt cheese.
- Remove eggplant skin if desired.
- Serve as a main dish or side dish.
More Healthy and Delicious Eggplant Recipes
- How to Cook Poqui Poqui: A Filipino-Inspired Dish
Do you enjoy eating scrambled eggs? Try this healthy version of poqui poqui, a popular regional dish from the northern part of the Philippines.
- How to Cook Binagoongang Talong With Longaniza
Do you enjoy eating eggplant or aubergine? Add an Asian twist to your eggplant by cooking it with bagoong alamang or shrimp paste. Try my own simple dish of binagoongang talong with longaniza.
Questions & Answers
© 2019 Dred Cuan