I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Chipsi mayai, also called chips mayai, is a popular street food in Tanzania. The main ingredients are French fries and eggs; therefore, it is also known as a "fries omelette." Other vegetables such as onion and tomato may be added to make it special. Let me show you how to make this delicious Tanzanian street food.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 to 2 servings
For the French fries:
- 150 grams fries
- cooking oil
For the eggs:
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- hot sauce
- cooking oil
- 1 large bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 small bowl
- chopping board
- saute pan
- frying pan
- tongs or skimmer spoon
- bowl or plate
- Beat eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat up oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot, start cooking the fries.
- When the fries are halfway cooked, transfer the fries to a plate lined with paper towels or a bowl with a strainer. Allow them to cool.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining fries.
- After finishing the first frying, refry all the fries. Cook everything all the way through or until golden brown.
- Once done cooking, place the fries on a plate lined with paper towels or a bowl with a strainer to remove excess oil.
- Transfer the fries to a bowl. Season with salt.
- In a separate pan, cover the bottom the cooked fries. Pour the beaten eggs on top.
- Cover the pan. Cook it until the bottom part is set.
- Flip it over to cook the other side of the omelette. Again, cover the pan.
- Remove from the heat once the omelette is thoroughly cooked.
- Serve chipsi mayai with freshly chopped tomatoes and onions. Add some ketchup or hot sauce on top.
Tips and Techniques
- Double-frying the fries makes them crunchier.
- Adjust the number of side dishes and condiments when serving.
- Mix other vegetables into the fries and egg mixture, if desired.
- Chipsi mayai can be served for breakfast or as a snack.
- For a more authentic flavor, serve with African pepper sauce.
French Fry Recipes From Around the World
- How to Make Poutine With Homemade Gravy: A Canadian-...
Have you ever tried poutine, a Canadian take on French fries with cheese and gravy? Try this simple yet delicious recipe.
- How to Make Curry Fries: An Irish-Inspired Snack
Everyone loves French fries, but have you tried this version, known in Ireland as curry fries? Let me show you an easy way to prepare this delicious snack.
© 2019 Travel Chef
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on September 28, 2019:
It's nice to hear from you again. I'm glad you liked it.
Jeff Zod from Nairobi on September 28, 2019:
I really did. It was very satiating. Thank you
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on September 27, 2019:
I do hope you enjoyed it. It tastes so delicious.
Jeff Zod from Nairobi on September 17, 2019:
I think this is a very interesting recipe. I have had fries and eggs together before and I will definitely try out chipsi mayai.