Chipsi Mayai (French Fries Omelette): A Snack From Tanzania
Chipsi mayai, also called chips mayai, is a popular street food in Tanzania. The main ingredients are French fries and eggs; therefore, it is also known as a "fries omelette." Other vegetables such as onion and tomato may be added to make it special. Let me show you how to make this delicious Tanzanian street food.
For the French fries:
- 150 grams fries
- cooking oil
For the eggs:
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- hot sauce
- cooking oil
- 1 large bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 small bowl
- chopping board
- saute pan
- frying pan
- tongs or skimmer spoon
- bowl or plate
- Beat eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat up oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot, start cooking the fries.
- When the fries are halfway cooked, transfer the fries to a plate lined with paper towels or a bowl with a strainer. Allow them to cool.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining fries.
- After finishing the first frying, refry all the fries. Cook everything all the way through or until golden brown.
- Once done cooking, place the fries on a plate lined with paper towels or a bowl with a strainer to remove excess oil.
- Transfer the fries to a bowl. Season with salt.
- In a separate pan, cover the bottom the cooked fries. Pour beaten eggs on top.
- Cover the pan. Cook it until the bottom part is set.
- Flip it over to cook the other side of the omelette. Again, cover the pan.
- Remove from the heat once the omelette is thoroughly cooked.
- Serve with freshly chopped tomatoes and onions. Add some ketchup or hot sauce on top.
Tips and Techniques
- Double-frying the fries makes them crunchier.
- Adjust the amount of side dishes and condiments when serving.
- Mix other vegetables into the fries and egg mixture, if desired.
- Serve the chips mayai as a breakfast or snack.
French Fry Recipes From Around the World
- How to Make Poutine With Homemade Gravy: A Canadian-...
Have you ever tried poutine, a Canadian take on French fries with cheese and gravy? Try this simple yet delicious recipe.
- How to Make Curry Fries: An Irish-Inspired Snack
Everyone loves French fries, but have you tried this version, known in Ireland as curry fries? Let me show you an easy way to prepare this delicious snack.
© 2019 Travel Chef