I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Chowking is a popular fast-food restaurant chain in the Philippines. Offering many different Chinese dishes, their menu features vegetable, meat, and seafood meals along with choices of noodles and other dim sum dishes. Patrons can order their food à la carte, as a combo meal, or as a family platter. I tried to recreate the restaurant's famous rice bowl, which I call Chowking-style pork chao fan.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 to 2 servings
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup water spinach (kangkong), chopped
- 1/4 cup ground pork
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- spring onion, garnish
- cooking oil
- 1 large bowl
- 3 medium bowls
- 2 small bowls
- 1 small plate
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- In a pan, saute garlic and ground pork.
- Once the pork has turned brown, add the chopped water spinach.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, add a small amount of oil and cook the leftover rice.
- Make a well at the center. Add a little bit of oil. Scramble the beaten egg.
- Add the pork and water spinach mixture.
- Pour in the soy sauce and oyster sauce. Mix thoroughly.
- Season again with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Tips and Techniques
- For best results, use day-old rice.
- If leftover rice is not available, use freshly cooked rice. Allow it to cool down before adding it to this recipe.
- The flavor of different brands of oyster sauce may vary. Make sure to adjust the amount of it based on your preference.
- Serve this dish with your favorite fried or steamed dim sum.
- Replace regular oil with sesame oil to create a different aroma and add flavor.
More Fast-Food Copycat Recipes
- How to Make McDonald's Tartar Sauce
Do you love McDonald's? Try my version of their famous tartar sauce. You can prepare this delicious recipe in just five minutes.
- How to Make KFC Gravy
Do you love KFC? Try my version of their famous gravy. You can prepare this delicious recipe in just 10 minutes.
© 2019 Travel Chef