I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
What Is Pisngi ng Baboy?
Pisngi ng baboy is the Filipino term for the cheeks of a pig. In this recipe, I started with pig's cheeks, coated them with a breading mixture, and deep-fried them to achieve a crispy and crunchy texture. This dish pairs perfectly with beer or any alcoholic beverages.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
3 to 4 servings
- 500 grams pisngi ng baboy, sliced
- 1 to 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon water
- Salt and pepper
- Water, for cooking
- Cooking oil
- Mustard (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
Read More From Delishably
- 4 medium bowls
- 1 small bowl
- 1 small plate
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- fry pan
- cooking rack
- In a pot, pour in water. Season it with salt and pepper. Add the pisngi ng baboy. Cook until tender.
- Allow it to cool down before slicing it. Set aside.
- In two separate bowls, measure out the flour and breadcrumbs. Season each bowl with salt and pepper. Mix and set aside.
- In a third bowl, add the egg and beat in 1 tablespoon of water. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Start the breading process. Dredge each piece following this order: flour, egg, flour, egg, and bread crumbs.
- Once you have finished the breading process, freeze the breaded meat for at least 1 hour before frying.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining meat slices
- Remove the breaded pisngi ng baboy from the freezer. Deep-fry it until it is golden brown in color.
- Serve it with your favorite dip, such as aioli, tartar sauce, spicy soy vinegar dip, or ketchup.
Tips and Techniques
- Serve with your favorite dip such as spicy soy vinegar dip.
- Pair with an ice-cold beverage or alcoholic drink.
- Use store-bought bread crumbs or make your own bread crumbs using stale bread.
- Season the breading mixture with salt and pepper to make the dish tastier.
- Add water into the egg for easy coating.
- Freezing the breaded pig's cheeks before deep-frying helps to achieve a crunchier texture.
Another Pig's Mask Recipe
- How to Cook Tokwa't Baboy: A Filipino-Inspired Pulutan
Tokwa't baboy is a common Filipino beer match food. Let me show you an easy-to-follow recipe that everybody can enjoy.
© 2020 Travel Chef