I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Sausage and French fries are two of the most popular snacks all over the world. During my trip to Germany, I tasted one of their most famous street foods: currywurst. What makes this snack special is the currywurst sauce, which they call curry ketchup. Let me show you how to make this delicious German snack.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 150 grams fries
- 3 tablespoons curry sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 hot dog
- salt, for the fries
- cooking oil
- water, as needed
- 1/4 cup sweet and spicy ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 large bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 2 small plates
- measuring spoons
- saute pan
- fry pan
- plate or bowl
- Make the curry sauce: Mix curry powder and sweet and spicy ketchup in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a pan, cook the hot dog in water.
- While waiting for the hot dog to cook, start frying the French fries.
- Cook the French fries until slightly golden brown. Remove from the heat.
- Once the hot dog is cooked, remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Heat up the frying pan again.
- Cook the French fries a second time until they are golden brown or crispy. Remove from the heat.
- Season fries with salt.
- Plate the French fries and hot dog.
- Pour curry sauce onto your hot dog.
- Sprinkle some curry powder on top of the sauce.
- Serve with a drink of your choice.
Tips and Techniques
- For a stronger flavor, add more curry powder.
- Use sweet and spicy ketchup to make a flavorful sauce.
- Choose german sausage or other sausages to make the currywurst taste more authentic.
- Double-frying the French fries results in a crunchier texture.
Snacks From Around the World
- Patso: A Turkish-Inspired Sandwich
Do you love French fries? Try my version of Turkish patso, a sandwich stuffed with fries.
- How to Make Salchipapas: A Peruvian-Inspired Snack
Have you ever tried salchipapas? Salchipapas is a famous type of street food in Peru. Let me show you an easy way to prepare this delicious snack.
Questions & Answers
Question: How do exactly is the hot dog cooked? Do you put it in already heated water or just let it start cooking before heating the water?
Answer: Heat the water first before adding the hotdog. Then allow it to dry up and do quick frying. Use just enough amount of oil to avoid the hot dog from sticking.
© 2019 Travel Chef
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on August 10, 2020:
Thank you for your recommendation. I actually tasted the authentic currywurst in Berlin last time and it was really fantastic. This recipe is just an affordable version of it.
JWH on August 10, 2020:
Hela makes the orginal Curry Ketchup. Be sure to buy "scharf" spicy. Its amazing. Available on Amazon.
Also I would recommend (instead of a hot dog) use a traditional german pork or veal sausage (bratwurst or similar) and grill it. Slice it into chunks after its grilled, place on an open bun and top with Curry Ketchup.
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on September 27, 2019:
I really love this snack. Easy to make when using this recipe hack sauce. I hope you try this currywurst too at home.
Centfie from Kenya on September 27, 2019:
What a simple snack with a fancy name! But as you mention in your article, indeed, the currywurst sauce is what makes this snack special.
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on September 06, 2019:
It may not taste exactly the same but it can be an interesting combination. I hope you try it!
Wesman Todd Shaw from Kaufman, Texas on September 04, 2019:
Looks and sounds like an absolute winner to me. I have some Heinz Jalapeno ketchup, I wonder would that work. Or would it merely be a Texas enough version. Of course we've large numbers of German immigrant history here.
And I've always got curry powder, which here is always mostly Turmeric.
Anyway, I'm kind of new to fancy ketchups. There are a lot of them around now, and I may be able to find a sweet and spicy one.
I'm a bit sad about being late in the game to trying these things.