How to Cook Currywurst: A German-Inspired Snack
Sausage and French fries are two of the most popular snacks all over the world. During my trip to Germany, I tasted one of their most famous street foods: currywurst. What makes this snack special is the currywurst sauce, which they call curry ketchup. Let me show you how to make this delicious German snack.
- 150 grams fries
- 3 tablespoons curry sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 hot dog
- salt, for the fries
- cooking oil
- water, as needed
- 1/4 cup sweet and spicy ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 large bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 2 small plates
- measuring spoons
- saute pan
- fry pan
- plate or bowl
- Make the curry sauce: Mix curry powder and sweet and spicy ketchup in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a pan, cook the hot dog in water.
- While waiting for the hot dog to cook, start frying the French fries.
- Cook the French fries until slightly golden brown. Remove from the heat.
- Once the hot dog is cooked, remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Heat up the frying pan again.
- Cook the French fries a second time until they are golden brown or crispy. Remove from the heat.
- Season fries with salt.
- Plate the French fries and hot dog.
- Pour curry sauce onto your hot dog.
- Sprinkle some curry powder on top of the sauce.
- Serve with a drink of your choice.
Tips and Techniques
- For a stronger flavor, add more curry powder.
- Use sweet and spicy ketchup to make a flavorful sauce.
- Double-frying the French fries results in a crunchier texture.
Snacks From Around the World
- Patso: A Turkish-Inspired Sandwich
Do you love French fries? Try my version of Turkish patso, a sandwich stuffed with fries.
- How to Make Salchipapas: A Peruvian-Inspired Snack
Have you ever tried salchipapas? Salchipapas is a famous type of street food in Peru. Let me show you an easy way to prepare this delicious snack.
Questions & Answers
How do exactly is the hot dog cooked? Do you put it in already heated water or just let it start cooking before heating the water?
Heat the water first before adding the hotdog. Then allow it to dry up and do quick frying. Use just enough amount of oil to avoid the hot dog from sticking.
© 2019 Travel Chef