How to Cook Dinakdakan: An Ilocano Pulutan Dish
What Is Dinakdakan?
Dinakdakan is a local specialty from the Ilocos region of the Philippines. Traditionally, it is made with grilled and boiled pig's mask and flavored with pig's brain, which adds a delicious umami creaminess. It's a tasty snack on its own, though it is popularly served as pulutan, or a beer-match food.
Outside of our part of the world, some people may not be comfortable with the idea of cooking with pig's brain; therefore, I have used mayonnaise in this recipe to achieve a very similar flavor.
- 350 grams pig's mask
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon green chili pepper, chopped
- 1 kalamansi, juiced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
For the Preparation:
- 1 medium plate
- 1 small plate
- 1 large bowl
- 1 small bowl
- chopping board
- measuring spoons
- Pour water into a pot. Allow it to come to the boil.
- Into the pot, add pig's mask, salt, and pepper. Cook until tender.
- Once cooked, remove the meat from the boiling water. Set aside.
- Heat up the grill. Grill each side of pig’s mask until slightly charred.
- Allow it to cool down before slicing.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced meat, as well as the remaining ingredients.
Tips and Techniques
- Reserve the boiling water and use as a pork stock.
- If available, try using the traditional pig’s brain rather than mayonnaise.
- Replace kalamansi juice with lemon or lime juice.
- For more spiciness, add more chillies.
- Adjust the taste by adding other seasonings.
More Delicious Pig's Mask Pulutan Recipes
- How to Cook Tokwa't Baboy: A Filipino-Inspired Pulutan
Tokwa't baboy is a common Filipino beer match food. Let me show you an easy-to-follow recipe that everybody can enjoy.
- How to Make LSD Igado: A Filipino-Inspired Dish
LSD igado is a delicious Ilocano dish from the Philippines. LSD is an acronym in the Ilocano dialect that refers to the parts of the pig that are used in the recipe.
Questions & Answers
© 2020 Travel Chef