How to Cook Filipino-Style Carp Fish Bola Bola
What Is Bola Bola?
Bola bola, which literally translates to "ball ball," is a Filipino-style of meatballs. In most traditional recipes, bola bola are prepared with minced pork; however, they may also be prepared with other ingredients, such as beef, chicken, vegetable, or seafood. In this recipe, I made bola bola with carp, though you could choose any kind of fish you prefer.
- 1 1/2 cups carp fish, ground
- 1/2 egg
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking oil, for frying
- 2 medium bowls
- 3 small bowls
- 1 small plate
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- frying pan
- 2 teaspoons
- In a bowl, add all of the ingredients (excluding the cooking oil). Mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan.
- Quickly dip two teaspoons in oil (this is done to prevent sticking). Using these spoons, scoop about 1 tablespoon's worth of the fish mixture and form a ball. Immediately drop each ball into the frying pan. Cook thoroughly.
- Repeat step 3 until all of the bola bola have been cooked.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
Tips and Techniques
- Adjust the amount of fish mixture based on your desired number of portions. Just make sure to cook thoroughly.
- Replace carp fish with any kind of fish you prefer.
- Apply oil on each teaspoon to prevent the fish mixture from sticking to the spoons.
- Serve with sweet and spicy fish ball sauce or spicy soy-vinegar dip.
Questions & Answers
© 2020 Travel Chef