I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Alugbati is the Filipino term for Malabar spinach, which is a common leafy vegetable found in Southeast Asia, South America, and the West Indies. It is a vine with reddish-purple leaves and stems.
In this recipe, I blanch alugbati and then combine it with fish that has marinated in a honey mustard sauce. The result is delicious!
- 500 grams fish
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Cooking oil
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- 200 grams alugbati leaves
- Water, for blanching
Read More From Delishably
- 2 medium bowls
- 3 small bowls
- Measuring spoon
- Chopping board
- Marinate the fish in a bowl for about 1-2 hours. Puncture the fish with a fork to let the marinade seep in.
- Heat a pan with oil. Cook the fish on each side for at least 5 minutes.
- Prepare an ice bath for the alugbati. Set aside.
- Pour water in a pot and bring it to the boil.
- Once boiling, add the alugbati leaves. Cook until tender.
- Drain alugbati leaves. Place the leaves in the ice bath.
- After the leaves have cooled down in the ice bath, remove them from the water. Set aside.
- Remove cooked fish from the heat.
- On a plate, arrange alugbati leaves. Place the fish on top.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.
Tips and Techniques
- The taste of the honey and mustard may vary depending on their brands. Adjust the amount of these ingredients if necessary.
- Taste the marinade before adding the fish to it. Adjust the marinade if you would like.
- Use an ice bath to stop the alugbati leaves from further cooking.
Delectable Fish Recipes
- How to Make Chinese-Style Fried Cream Dory
Have you ever tried cream dory? Cream dory, also known as Pangasius, is a fish with spiny fins that is found in Southeast Asia. The fish is known for its neutral flavor, which works well in many dishes.
- How to Make Tuna Lemon Caper Fried Rice
Enjoy the taste of tuna, lemon, and capers in one dish by simply mixing these ingredients with leftover rice. In just 15 minutes, you can prepare and cook this wonderful dish at home. Check out the recipe to learn how I made a fried rice version of a
© 2019 Travel Chef