I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
What Is Maja Blanca?
Maja blanca is a popular Filipino dessert that is essentially a creamy coconut pudding. The main ingredients consist of coconut milk and cornstarch, although some recipes suggest gelatine powder as an alternative to cornstarch.
Regional differences exist in the Philippines, as many provinces have their own variations of this creamy dessert. In my recipe, I added a twist to this Filipino classic by introducing a cheesy topping.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons corn kernels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 150 grams coconut powder
- Grated cheese, as desired
- 6 medium bowls
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- can opener
Read More From Delishably
- cooking spoon
- baking pan or bowl
- Dilute powdered coconut milk with water. Set aside.
- Dilute cornstarch with water. Set aside.
- Pour the coconut milk into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar, corn kernels, cornstarch, and milk. Stir continuously until all of the ingredients are well-blended.
- Allow the maja blanca mixture to cook while stirring until it reaches your desired thickness.
- Transfer the mixture into a pan.
- Let it cool down, then refrigerate it for at least 1 hour.
- Plate the maja blanca. Top it with grated cheese before serving.
Tips and Techniques
- For a finer texture, use creamed corn instead of corn kernels—or a mix of the two.
- To make it softer, reduce the amount of cornstarch or the amount of water.
- Replace the powdered coconut milk with freshly squeezed or canned coconut milk. (In this case, omit the water from the recipe.)
- You can use any type of cheese for this recipe. Be generous if you want that extra cheesy taste!
More Delicious Sweet Treat Recipes
- How to Make Graham Balls Stuffed With Marshmallows
Graham crackers are one of my favorite crackers. Not only are they delicious on their own, but they also make a great addition to many dessert recipes. Let me show you my graham balls stuffed with marshmallows. They're so easy to make.
- How to Make Three-Ingredient Pastillas: A Filipino-Inspired Delicacy
Have you ever tried pastillas? Pastillas are a famous milk-based sweet from the Philippines. This is a no-cook variation on a traditional pastillas recipe.
© 2019 Travel Chef