Originally from Malaysia, Liza currently lives in the U.S. with her husband. She loves cooking, baking, photography, and traveling.
Fried Rice: My Favorite Comfort Food
There are many ways to use leftover rice, but one of the best options is to cook fried rice. I usually cook Malay-style fried rice. If you didn't have all the ingredients, it is okay. Fried rice is a dish that is endlessly flexible; you can prepare it with your own style.
In Malaysia and Indonesia, fried rice is known as nasi goreng, and it is one of my favorite comfort foods. It is very simple but delicious. I have to admit that it is so tempting when you're feeling hungry.
The best thing about this dish is you can eat it anytime you want. All you need is cooked rice, vegetable, soy sauce, egg, shallots, garlic, and oil for frying. I love spicy fried rice, so I added bird eye's chilies for an extra kick!
I use a wok when cooking this dish because it makes it taste even better.
Before we get started, here's a tip: For this recipe, it is best to use day-old rice (basically, leftover rice that is kept overnight in the fridge). I learned this tip from my mother. She prefers to cook extra rice for lunch or dinner, then save the leftovers for making fried rice. However, make sure you remove the rice from the fridge at least one hour before cooking in order to loosen up the rice and reduce its stickiness.
By the way, I love eating this dish with a fried egg. If you don't favor fried egg, you can eat with salads or kimchi.
- 1 bowl white rice (any kind of rice will do)
- 1 cup mixed vegetable (carrots and green peas)
- 1 egg
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bird's eye chilies (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce (optional)
- Leftover chicken or meat
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Scallions, tomatoes, salads, and cucumber (optional)
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat.
- Saute the shallots, garlic, and birds eye's chilies until fragrant.
- Toss in the chicken or meat and stir.
- Add in sweet soy sauce and soy sauce. If you want the rice to be darker, you can add more soy sauce.
- Add vegetable and stir.
- Add cooked rice, a pinch of salt, and stir for about 7 minutes.
- In another pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil and crack an egg to make a fried egg.
- Place the fried rice on a plate with a fried egg, fresh salads, or kimchi.
- Serve immediately.
Favorite Dish to Cook at Home
Fried rice is one of my favorite dishes to cook at home because it was so versatile. You can add almost any type of protein you want; for example, chicken, eggs, or shrimp. I've lost count how many times I have cooked fried rice at home. It's so delicious!
© 2018 Liza