Fried Noodles, My Favorite Dish
Fried noodles is one of my favorite dishes to cook when I'm in a hurry. Why? It is one of the simplest and fastest dishes to cook. I also love how flexible this recipe is—I can incorporate any vegetable or protein that I happen to have in the fridge, and it always comes out tasty.
The essential ingredient for making this dish is soy sauce. Everyone has soy sauce in the fridge, right? In this dish, I use two types of soy sauce: regular and sweet. The combination of the two types works really well for fried noodles.
By the way, if you don't have yellow noodles, you're welcome to use any ramen noodles that you have in the pantry. Don't worry, I've done this before, and I can assure you it works. All you have to do is to boil the noodles and drain the water.
This simple fried noodle is perfect for lunch or dinner. It is best served while it's still warm. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 (5.6-oz) packets yellow noodles or ramen noodles
- 10 small or medium-sized shrimp, deveined
- 1/2 skinless chicken breast, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 shallots or small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- Pepper and salt for additional taste
- Small cherry tomatoes for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish
Vegetarian Variation: You can easily make this dish vegetarian by omitting the chicken, shrimp, and oyster sauce.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook the noodles for 30 seconds, drain, and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or a large pan over medium heat. Saute the shallots and garlic until they are fragrant.
- Add the sliced green and red bell pepper into the pan. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the pan. Stir occasionally until the chicken is browned or half-cooked.
- Add the shrimp to the pan. Stir occasionally until the shrimp is half-cooked.
- In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, chili sauce, and oyster sauce until smooth.
- Add the mixture to the pan and cook 3-4 minutes, occasionally stirring until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add the yellow noodles and stir-fry continuously until the noodles are well combined.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro and cherry tomatoes.
- Place the noodles in a serving bowl and serve immediately.
© 2020 Liza