How to Cook Tilapia Escabeche: A Spanish-Inspired Dish
Escabeche is a traditional Spanish dish that consists of fried fish with vegetables cooked in a sweet and tangy sauce. I first encountered this dish in the Philippines, which was once a colony of Spain. This dish was one of many Spanish recipes that were absorbed into the Filipino cuisine.
Chinese cuisine has its own version of escabeche, as well, which is known as sweet and sour.
- 3 tilapia
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 1/2 small onion, julienned
- 1/2 inch ginger, julienned
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 large plate
- 1 small plate
- 1 medium bowl
- 3 small bowls
- chopping board
- frying pan
- sauteing pan
- Wash and clean the fish. Drain water.
- Rub salt on the surface of each fish. Set aside.
- Heat up frying pan. Add enough oil for frying.
- Fry each fish until it turns golden brown. Set aside.
- Mix water and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a sauteing pan, ginger, onion, and garlic.
- Add the vinegar, ketchup, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture or slurry. Let it simmer.
- Add bell pepper and carrots. Cook the vegetables until tender.
- Add cooked fish into the sauce. Allow it to simmer until sauce thickens.
- Serve while still hot.
Step-by-Step Procedure: Tilapia Escabeche
Tips and Techniques
- Replace tilapia with any kind of fish.
- Adjust sugar or vinegar as preferred.
- Use other thickening agents, such as all-purpose flour, potato starch, rice flour, etc.
More Filipino Seafood Recipes
- How to Cook Paksiw na Hiwas: A Filipino-Inspired Dish
Learn how to make delicious paksiw na hiwas. This recipe is so easy to prepare at home. Add vegetables to make it a healthier meal.
- How to Make Sinigang na Salmon Belly: A Filipino-Inspired Dish
The holidays are fast approaching, and the weather has begun to change. Foods that warm the body are wonderful for this time of year. Let me teach you how to make a sinigang na salmon belly soup that you can enjoy during this holiday season.