I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
A Delightful Curry With Rice or Flatbreads
Beetroot is my all-time favorite vegetable. I like it because of its bright color, delightful taste, and nutritional value. In this curry, I combined beetroot with mung beans (lentils). The resulting curry is colorful, silky, and aromatic.
This curry is mildly spicy, which means that it goes well with flatbreads and rice. Here, I will share the detailed recipe with you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 4 people
- 1 cup beetroot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mung beans (moong dal), soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit and cut lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 to 3 teaspoons oil
- 6 to 8 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder), or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add cumin. Saute until the seeds break.
- Throw in the curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste, chopped onions, and slit green chilies. Saute until onions turn pinkish.
- Add soaked mung beans, chopped beetroot, and salt. Cook the mixture on high heat for 2 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Next, lower the heat and add 2 cups (0.47 liters) of water. Cover the pan. Cook until both beetroot and mung beans become soft and completely cooked. This step may take about 10 minutes.
- Throw in all the spice powders, like coriander powder, garam masala powder, and dry mango powder. Mix well and continue cooking.
- By now, the mixture should be almost dry. Add water if needed. This curry should be semi-solid. Adjust accordingly.
- Turn off the heat. The curry is ready to serve! Serve with flatbread or rice. Enjoy!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on July 01, 2019:
Thanks, Linda. Beetroot mung beans curry is tasty and colorful too. However, I appreciate its nutrition more than that. This curry is very healthy. Please try making this dish!
Linda Crampton from British Columbia, Canada on June 29, 2019:
This sounds like a tasty meal. I've never thought of adding beetroot to a curry. I like the idea very much.