Beetroot Pulao (Rice) Recipe
Colorful, Delightful, and Healthy Beetroot Pulao
Beetroot is my favorite vegetable. There are many reasons for this. I like its color, smell, texture, and most importantly, its health benefits.
Beets are high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals, such as manganese and potassium. They are considered good for the liver, kidneys, pancreas, and bones. They also contain B vitamins and folate.
This dish makes an excellent lunch or dinner. It is a complete meal if you serve it with cucumber-onion-yogurt raita. I made both the pulao and raita simultaneously; together, it took me about 45 minutes to make.
Try this healthy main course dish and reap its health benefits today!
- 1 1/4 cup basmati rice or long-grain rice, washed and soaked in fresh water for 30 minutes.
- 1 1/4 cup beetroot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green peas, fresh or frozen (optional)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 small green chilies, slit and cut lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, or use shahi jeera
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 2 cloves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 inch ginger, minced or crushed
- 2-3 tsp oil (or 1 tbsp ghee and 1 tbsp oil)
- 3/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- Wash basmati rice. Soak in fresh water for 30 minutes. Next, drain the water.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker base or deep-based pot. Add cumin seeds, slit green chilies, cloves, and cinnamon stick. Saute until cumin sizzles.
- Throw in chopped onions. Saute them until they turn golden brown. Next, add crushed ginger and garlic (or use ginger-garlic paste).
- Saute for a few seconds or until you get a nice aroma from the spices. Throw in green peas. Add some salt. Stir-cook for a minute.
- Add coriander powder and garam masala powder. Saute for 10 seconds on low heat.
- Add chopped beetroot. Stir-cook for 2 minutes. Next, add rice. Continue stir-cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add about 3 to 3 1/2 cups of water. If you want the pulao to be dry, add 3 cups of water only. I wanted pulao to be moist, hence I used 3 1/2 cups of water.
- Add remaining salt. Mix well. Let the mix come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Now cover the cooker. Place the weight. Increase the heat. Cook up to a whistle. Next, simmer for about 6 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Open the cooker lid when the entire pressure releases from the cooker naturally.
- Now, check for the taste. Add salt if needed. Gently mix the pulao once.
- Your favorite beetroot pulao is ready to serve! Serve it with a cucumber-onion-yogurt raita (see recipe below).
Cucumber-Onion-Yogurt Raita Recipe
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- A few coriander leaves
- 1 cup moderate sour curd or yogurt
- Salt, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine cucumber, onion, green chili, tomato, and coriander leaves.
- Add a cup of moderate sour curd or yogurt. Throw in some salt. Mix well. This is cucumber-onion-yogurt raita.
Nutritional Information of Beetroot Pulao
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 28 g||9%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 10 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|