I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Colorful, Delightful, and Healthy Beetroot Pulao
Beetroot is my favorite vegetable. There are many reasons for this. I like its color, smell, texture, and most importantly, its health benefits.
Beets are high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals, such as manganese and potassium. They are considered good for the liver, kidneys, pancreas, and bones. They also contain B vitamins and folate.
This dish makes an excellent lunch or dinner. It is a complete meal if you serve it with cucumber-onion-yogurt raita. I made both the pulao and raita simultaneously; together, it took me about 45 minutes to make.
Try this healthy main course dish and reap its health benefits today!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 4 people
- 1 1/4 cups basmati rice or long-grain rice, washed and soaked in fresh water for 30 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups beetroot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green peas, fresh or frozen (optional)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 small green chilies, slit and cut lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, or use shahi jeera
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 cloves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 inch ginger, minced or crushed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons oil (or 1 tablespoon ghee and 1 tablespoon oil)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Wash basmati rice. Soak in fresh water for 30 minutes. Next, drain the water.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker base or deep-based pot. Add cumin seeds, slit green chilies, cloves, and cinnamon stick. Saute until cumin sizzles.
- Throw in chopped onions. Saute them until they turn golden brown. Next, add crushed ginger and garlic (or use ginger-garlic paste).
- Saute for a few seconds or until you get a nice aroma from the spices. Throw in green peas. Add some salt. Stir-cook for a minute.
- Add coriander powder and garam masala powder. Saute for 10 seconds on low heat.
- Add chopped beetroot. Stir-cook for 2 minutes. Next, add rice. Continue stir-cooking for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add about 3 to 3 1/2 cups of water. If you want the pulao to be dry, only add 3 cups of water. I wanted the pulao to be moist, hence I used 3 1/2 cups of water.
- Add remaining salt. Mix well. Let the mix come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now cover the cooker. Place the weight. Increase the heat. Cook up to a whistle. Next, simmer for about 6 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Open the cooker lid when the entire pressure releases from the cooker naturally.
- Now, check for the taste. Add salt if needed. Gently mix the pulao once.
- Your favorite beetroot pulao is ready to serve! Serve it with a cucumber-onion-yogurt raita (see recipe below).
Cucumber-Onion-Yogurt Raita Recipe
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- A few coriander leaves
- 1 cup moderately sour curd or yogurt
- Salt, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine cucumber, onion, green chili, tomato, and coriander leaves.
- Add a cup of moderately sour curd or yogurt. Throw in some salt. Mix well. This is the cucumber-onion-yogurt raita.
Photo Tutorial for the Raita
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on March 17, 2018:
Thanks Stacy. This is a yummy food. Make beetroot pulao and serve it with cucumber-onion-yogurt raita. Happy eating!
Stacy Ingram vizcarrondo from Norfolk Nebraska on March 16, 2018:
Wow the food looks amazing, can't wait to try out the recipe. Thank you