Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Tasty Bottle Gourd Curry in 30 Minutes
Eating bottle gourd has many health benefits. This vegetable has very few calories, negligible fat and cholesterol content, and is made mostly of water. Some people say that eating this vegetable can help control your weight.
By itself, bottle gourd tastes bland—but when you cook it with spices, it's delicious. This particular curry is made with a spicy dry masala. I usually serve it with roti on the side.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 big bowl bottle gourd, chopped into 1 cm cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 small green chilies
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder, (available in Indian stores)
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- Finely crush ginger, garlic, and green chilies together. I used a mortar and pestle to do this. Set the paste aside.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Throw in cumin seeds and sauté until they sizzle. Add in ginger-garlic-green chili paste. Sautê over low fire for 30 seconds.
- Throw in chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent. Add chopped tomatoes. Sauté until they become soft but not mushy.
- Add the bottle gourd cubes and throw in some salt. Mix well. Stir-cook for 3–4 minutes. Add 1 cup of water. Cover the pan and cook for 6–7 additional minutes. By this time, the bottle gourd should be tender and the mixture should be almost dry.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, sugar, and turmeric powder. Stir-cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water and mix well.
- Simmer and cook for 2 more minutes. Adjust salt as per your taste. Throw in chopped coriander leaves, stir once, and turn off the stove.
- Your spicy bottle gourd curry is ready to serve. Serve it with roti, chapati, or flatbread. Enjoy!