How to Make Bottle Gourd Masala Curry (Lauki Subji)
Tasty Bottle Gourd Curry in 30 Minutes
Eating bottle gourd has many health benefits. This vegetable has very few calories, negligible fat and cholesterol content, and is made mostly of water. Some people say that eating this vegetable can help control your weight.
By itself, bottle gourd tastes bland—but when you cook it with spices, it's delicious. This particular curry is made with a spicy dry masala. I usually serve it with roti on the side.
- 1 big bowl bottle gourd, chopped into 1 cm cubes
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 small green chilies
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, (available in Indian stores)
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- Finely crush the ginger, garlic, and green chilies together. I used a mortar and pestle to do this. Set the paste aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the cumin seeds and sauté until they sizzle. Add in the ginger-garlic-green chili paste. Sautê over low fire for 30 seconds.
- Throw in the chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent. Add the chopped tomatoes. Sauté until they become soft but not mushy.
- Add the bottle gourd cubes and throw in some salt. Mix well. Stir-cook for 3–4 minutes. Add 1 cup of water. Cover the pan and cook for 6–7 additional minutes. By this time, the bottle gourd should be tender and the mixture should be almost dry.
- Add the red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, sugar, and turmeric powder. Stir-cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water and mix well.
- Simmer and cook for 2 more minutes. Adjust salt as per your taste. Throw in chopped coriander leaves, stir once, and turn off the stove.
- Your bottle gourd masala curry is ready to serve. Serve with roti, chapati, or flatbread. Enjoy!
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 118 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|