I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods. I use minimal oil and don't use artificial colors or preservatives in my cooking.
A Mildly Spiced Bottle Gourd Curry Made With Yogurt
This mildly spiced bottle gourd yogurt curry is delicious and very easy to make. It took me only about 25 minutes to prepare this dish, which I served with steamed rice.
Mildly sweet with no aroma, the bottle gourd vegetable has many health benefits. It is a rich source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and calcium. It may also help lower cholesterol, maintain a healthy heart, and maintain optimum blood pressure. The high water content of this vegetable means that it has a cooling effect on the body. It is believed that this quality is helpful with digestion and may help relieve constipation.
Now, let us learn how to make bottle gourd yogurt curry.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 1 big bowl bottle gourd cubes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- 1 cup yogurt or curd, moderately sour
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
For the tempering:
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil, use coconut oil for a nice flavor
- 1 dry red chili
- 8 curry leaves
- a pinch hing powder (optional)
- Wash bottle gourd. Cut into large cubes.
- Add the bottle gourd cubes to a saucepan or a deep-bottomed pan. Pour some water on them. Throw in some turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Heat the pan. Let the mixture boil. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Mix well. Cook for another 5 to 6 minutes or until the tomatoes are cooked but not mushy. Lower the heat.
- Add beaten curd or yogurt. Add remaining salt. Cook the mixture until it reaches a nice boil. Turn off the heat.
- By this time, both bottle gourd and tomatoes should be cooked through.
- Now, add a tempering. For that, heat some ghee or oil in a small pan. Use coconut oil for a nice aroma.
- Throw in mustard seeds. Wait until they pop. Add cumin seeds. Wait until they sizzle. Add curry leaves, whole dry red chili, and the hing powder. Turn off the heat. Mix well.
- Pour the tempering over the curry. Mix well. Your favorite bottle gourd curry is now ready!
- Serve this curry as a side dish for cooked rice. This mildly spicy curry can be eaten as is with any type of main course. Enjoy!