How to Make Bubble and Squeak Using Leftover Vegetables
Do You Need Ideas for Your Leftover Vegetables?
Bubble and squeak is a traditional British dish that is a surprisingly tasty way of using up all the vegetables left over from your Sunday roast dinner. A further plus is that it is quick and easy to make—definitely a beginner's recipe.
What Is Bubble and Squeak?
Basically, it's a mixed vegetable fry-up that uses cooked root vegetables, such as potatoes, carrots, swedes and turnips, together with cooked greens and onions. Even strong-tasting vegetables like Brussels sprouts and broccoli can be used, as well as a variety of cabbage and other greens.
Avoiding Food Waste
If, like me, you try to avoid wasting food, you will appreciate finding a delicious way to use up food that would otherwise have been thrown away.
- Potatoes (you need at least 50% potato or root vegetables, so you may need to cook an extra potato)
- Other root vegetables (optional; it's just as nice without them)
- Greens (any type)
- Onions (optional)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (you can use other cooking oil, but olive oil is the healthiest)
- Mash all the cooked vegetables together. There should be about 50% potatoes or other root vegetables, and 50% greens, with or without onion. If there aren't enough potatoes, cook some more.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the frying pan. Then add all of the vegetable mixture to the pan, squashing it down to spread it out. Fry it gently for about 10 minutes, making sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan, by running the lifter under the mixture. Then turn the mixture over, add the rest of the olive oil to the base of the frying pan (lifting the mixture a bit at a time to enable the oil to completely cover the pan base). Fry it until the bottom is crispy, making sure that it doesn't stick to the bottom by running the lifter under the mixture.
- Serve on plates, as an accompaniment to other food, or on its own.
Sometimes bubble and squeak is eaten as an accompaniment to a fry-up breakfast. This might be:
- Bacon and egg
- Bacon, egg, and sausage
- Bacon, egg, sausage and tomato
- Bacon, egg, sausage, and baked beans
- Bacon, sausage, tomato and baked beans
Sometimes this dish is eaten as an accompaniment to a main meal. For instance:
- Sausage, egg and chips
- Cold slices of meat
And don't forget, you can eat bubble and squeek on its own.