Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Why Cabbage Masala Is My Favorite
Anyone who knows how healthy and delicious cabbage is will want to eat it all the time. Cabbage has abundant dietary fiber, folates, copper content, vitamins, and proteins. When cooked with other vegetables and spice combinations, cabbage dishes are wonderfully appetizing.
Here, I made cabbage and mung dal (moong dal) spicy curry that is very healthy and delicious. You can serve this side dish with plain rice, flatbreads, rotis, chapatis, pancakes, etc. This yummy curry has the goodness of both cabbage and moong dal (de-husked split green gram).
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
A bowl of cabbage masala curry
- 1 heaped bowl cabbage, diced or chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup moong dal or de-husked split mung dal, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise and cut
- 1/4 teaspoon or more red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon split bengal gram or chana dal
- 1/4 teaspoon white lentils or urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar, to balance the sourness
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Soak moong dal (split mung dal) in water for 10 minutes. Strain it and set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds, cumin seeds, split chickpea, white lentils, and curry leaves. Saute them on low heat until the mustard seeds splutter. The lentils should become golden.
- Add diced onions and slit green chilies. Continue the sauteing until the onions become transparent and pinkish.
- Now, add the chopped tomatoes. Stir-cook for a while or until tomatoes become soft (but not mushy).
- Throw in the chopped cabbage. Add salt and turmeric powder. Mix well. Stir-cook the mixture for 3-4 minutes. Add the soaked, de-husked split mung beans (moong dal). Continue stir-cooking until the mixture becomes a bit dry.
- Add some water. Mix well. Cover the pan and cook on low fire till the veggies and lentils are cooked. This step may take about 7-8 minutes.
- Open the lid. Add red chili powder, sugar, and the remaining salt. Throw in half of the chopped coriander leaves. Mix the contents and saute for 2 minutes. Turn off the fire.
- Transfer the curry to a serving bowl. Garnish it with the remaining chopped coriander leaves.
- Spicy cabbage curry or cabbage masala is ready to serve! Use it as a side dish for flatbreads, plain rice, rotis, pancakes, and more. Enjoy the taste of crunchy cabbage!