Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
A Healthy and Appetizing Side Dish
I wanted to make a curry side dish that contained both lentils and veggies. Searching online, I came across this recipe and immediately thought it looked awesome.
I did make some changes here and there to suit my tastes. It took about an hour to make this creamy and colorful side dish, but it was definitely worth the effort. My family members very much enjoyed it.
Serve this dish with any flatbread, plain rice, fried rice, or pancakes.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup red lentils (masoor dal)
- 1/2 cup onions, cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garam masala powder or spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Wash the red lentils and put them in a container. Add water and chopped onions. Cook this mix in a pressure cooker up to one whistle, and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the cumin seeds. Saute till they sizzle. Add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute till they become a golden brown color.
- Immerse cauliflower florets in lukewarm saltwater for 10 minutes. This is to wash away any dirt in or on the florets. Wash them once again. Cut into cubes.
- Add the cauliflower into the pan. Throw in some turmeric powder. Continue sauteing over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Throw in the chopped tomatoes.
- Stir-cook till the tomatoes become soft (but not mushy). Pour in the boiled red lentil-onion mix.
- Boil the mix for 1 minute. Add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder (spice mix), and salt. Stir and boil for 2 minutes.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix well. Turn off the stove. Transfer the curry into a serving dish. Garnish with a few chopped coriander leaves.
- Dunk flatbreads or pancakes into this hot and spicy side dish and enjoy!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on September 17, 2017:
Thanks Dora, for reading my hubs. This is truly a healthy and delicious side dish. Try it!
Dora Weithers from The Caribbean on September 17, 2017:
Thanks for the recipe. It looks good and I'm sure it tastes good too. Nutritious as well!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on September 15, 2017:
Thanks. These are healthy and delicious dishes that you can make at your home. Try them.
peachy from Home Sweet Home on September 15, 2017:
I love to follow your Indian recipes, very rare to find them here in Malaysia.