I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Menudo, also called ginamay, is a classic Filipino stew that is traditionally made with pork, pork liver, vegetables, raisins, and tomato sauce. In my recipe, I used chicken and chicken heart in order to create a healthier version of this famous dish. You may also try including chicken liver, but be sure to cook it properly to prevent it from getting mushy. Enjoy the most flavorful chicken menudo recipe you may ever try!
- 1 cup chicken, diced
- 1 cup chicken heart (and optional liver), diced
- 1 cup sweet tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup potato, diced
- 1/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup hot dog, diced
- 2 tablespoons onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- water, as needed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- cooking oil, just a small amount
- 4 medium bowls
- 6 small bowls
- 1 small plate
- chopping board
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
Read More From Delishably
- cooking spoon
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
3 to 4 servings
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute onion and garlic.
- Add chicken. Cook until slightly changed in color.
- Add chicken heart. Cook until it turns dark.
- Add water and tomato sauce. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Add hot dog and potato. Cook until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add carrots, bell pepper, chickpeas, and raisins. Cook until tender.
- Taste to adjust the seasoning.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Tip and Techniques
- If you can't find sweet tomato sauce, or if you prefer an alternative, you may substitute regular tomato sauce.
- Add cheese to add saltiness to the dish.
- Saute the hot dog together with the chicken and chicken heart to make a layer of texture.
- Use any type of hot dog or sausage available.
- Replace the chicken heart with an additional amount of chicken if the former is not available.
- Adjust the quantity of raisins for more or less sweetness to the dish. But remember that some raisins are sweetened or sugar-coated, so make sure to taste them first in order to properly adjust the overall sweetness of the stew.
Other Yummy Chicken Recipes
- How to Make A&W Rootbeer Chicken Wings
Have you ever tried to enjoy your chicken wings with your favorite root beer? Make it possible by following my step-by-step procedure on how to make A&W root beer chicken wings.
- Creamy Mushroom Chicken Recipe
Chicken, mushroom, and creamy sauce have always been my favorites since I was a kid, so I decided to make an easy-to-prepare dish that would help me relive the memories. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
© 2019 Travel Chef