I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Cream dory, also known as pangasius, is a fish with spiny fins that is commonly seen in Southeast Asia. It has white flesh and a neutral flavor that works well in many dishes. It usually comes filleted and frozen when sold at the market.
In this recipe, I fried cream dory in a crispy, crunchy, Chinese-style breading mix. The seasoned flour is very flavorful, and it adds a lovely dimension to the mild fish. This recipe makes for a wonderful snack or a main meal.
Ingredients for Chinese-Style Breading Mix
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon Chinese Five Spice (cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and Szechwan peppercorns)
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/8 tablespoon onion powder
Ingredients for Chinese-Style Fried Cream Dory
- 500 grams cream dory fish, sliced
- Chinese-style breading mix (above)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
Read More From Delishably
- 4 big bowls
- 2 small bowls
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- cooking spoon
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- Season cream dory with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the 3-step breading set-up (flour, egg, breading mix).
- Bread the fish first with flour, then with egg, then with breading mix.
- Arrange breaded fish on a plate.
- Freeze the whole plate before cooking or packing it.
- Once ready, heat oil in a frying pan.
- Fry breaded fish until golden brown in color.
- Remove the fried fish from oil. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Best served with fries or rice.
Tips and Techniques
- Add any other marinade to make it tastier.
- Freeze breaded fish before frying to achieve a crunchier texture.
- Cook the leftover egg you used to bread the fish rather than throwing it out.
- Replace panko with finer breadcrumbs.
- This can be served either as a main dish or as an appetizer.
- Cook it as a pulutan (beer match food) and pair it with your favorite alcoholic drink.
Other Tasty Fish Recipes
- How to Cook Ginataang Malunggay with Fried Parrot Fish
Do you like to try new, exotic foods or do you stick to the same foods you eat? If you are an adventurous eater, try this ginataang malunggay with fried parrot fish. Not only this recipe is tasty, and meaty but also healthy.
- How to Make Homemade Tilapia Fishcakes
Fishcakes are one of my favorite appetizers. The taste and texture are incredible when prepared and cooked properly. Enjoy a healthy baked version of tilapia fishcakes with your favorite dip.
© 2018 Travel Chef