How to Make Chinese-Style Fried Cream Dory
Cream dory, also known as Pangasius, is a fish with spiny fins that is commonly seen in Southeast Asia. It has white flesh and a neutral flavor that works well in many kinds of dishes. It usually comes filleted and frozen when sold at the market.
In this recipe, I fried cream dory in a crispy, crunchy, Chinese-style breading mix. The seasoned flour is very flavorful, and it adds a lovely dimension to the mild fish. This recipe makes for a wonderful snack or dish for a main meal.
Ingredients for Chinese-Style Breading Mix
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoons Chinese Five Spice
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/8 tablespoon onion powder
Ingredients for Chinese-Style Fried Cream Dory
- 500 grams cream dory, sliced
- Chinese-style breading mix (above)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 4 big bowls
- 2 small bowls
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- cooking spoon
- Season cream dory with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the 3-step breading set-up (flour, egg, breading mix).
- Bread the fish first with flour; then with egg; then with breading mix.
- Arrange breaded fish on a plate.
- Freeze the whole plate with breaded fish before cooking or packing it.
- Best served with fries or rice.
Tips and Techniques
- Add any other marinade to make it tastier.
- Freeze breaded fish before frying to achieve a crunchier texture.
- Cook any leftover eggs rather than throwing them out.
- Replace panko with finer breadcrumbs.
Other Tasty Fish Recipes
- How to Cook Ginataang Malunggay with Fried Parrot Fish
Do you like to try new, exotic foods or do you stick to the same foods you eat? If you are an adventurous eater, try this ginataang malunggay with fried parrot fish. Not only this recipe is tasty, and meaty but also healthy.
- How to Make Homemade Tilapia Fishcakes
Fishcakes are one of my favorite appetizers. The taste and texture are incredible when prepared and cooked properly. Enjoy a healthy baked version of tilapia fishcakes with your favorite dip.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Dred Cuan