I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Juicy and Delicious Sweets!
Coconut is a nutritious fruit that is frequently used in Indian cooking. One example of a yummy sweet treat that incorporates this fruit is coconut burfi, or coconut cakes. This dessert is easy to make, as it requires only a few ingredients. The cakes remain fresh for a week at room temperature; after that, you have to store them in the refrigerator.
Coconut has many health benefits—the skin, hair, and body. It has anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-parasitic properties. It provides instant energy to the body that may enhance physical and athletic performances, and it also improves digestion. It is a nutritious source of fiber, vitamins, amino acids, and minerals, including calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
Let me share with you the recipe for making coconut burfi.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
20 pieces of coconut burfi
- 2 heaped cups coconut, grated
- 2 cups sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 3 cardamom, powdered
- 1 teaspoon ghee, for greasing the container
- Grease a plate or container with ghee. Later, you will have to pour hot burfi into it. Set aside.
- In a deep-bottomed pan, add grated coconut. Ensure that there are no large pieces of coconut in the gratings. The coconut must be uniformly grated to make the burfi.
- Add sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of water.
- Set the heat to medium-low. Stir continuously, scraping the sides once in a while.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Continue stir-cooking until the mixture becomes a bit thick and gummy. Add cardamom powder. Mix well. If you touch the mixture with your finger, it should feel sticky.
- Once the mixture has lost most of its moisture, it should come together like a lump and start leaving the bottom. Don't let it become too dry.
- Turn off heat. Transfer the mixture to the greased container. Flatten and even out the surface with a spatula. Ensuring a consistent surface is very important to get perfect burfi. Set aside to cool.
- After about 10 minutes, draw deep criss-cross lines on the surface with a sharp knife. Set aside to cool further.
- After some time, insert the knife into the previously cut criss-cross lines, so that you can cut and separate the pieces.
- Once completely cooled, remove the cakes and arrange them on a plate.
- Your yummy coconut burfi is ready to eat. Enjoy eating this juicy delicacy.
- You can keep it fresh for a week at room temperature. Afterward, store in the refrigerator.