I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Polvoron is a popular Filipino shortbread. Traditionally, this delicious snack is made with only a few basic ingredients—including flour, milk, and sugar—but nowadays many different varieties are available. In this recipe, I made my own version of polvoron using Oreos, which are one of my favorite types of cookies.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1/2 cup Oreo cookies, ground (separate the cream)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 5 medium bowls
- 1 small bowl
- measuring cups
- cooking spoon
- polvoron molder
- Toast all-purpose flour in a pan. Cook until the color turns slightly brown.
- Once done, remove the pan from the heat. Set aside to cool.
- Take the Oreos and separate the cream from the cookies. Grate the cookies.
- Dissolve the Oreo cream into the melted butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, sugar, powdered milk, and crushed Oreo cookies.
- Pour in melted butter and Oreo cream mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix until a grainy texture is achieved. Set aside.
- Mold the cookies and cream polvoron mixture using a polvoron molder. Arrange each piece on the plate. Repeat process with the remaining mixture.
- Wrap each piece with cellophane. Lay cellophane in a flat surface. Place the polvoron at the middle of the cellophane. Align bottom and top sides of it and then fold. Twist the left and right side in different direction to lock it. Repeat process for the remaining cookies and cream polvoron mixture.
Recipe Video: Cookies n Cream Polvoron
Tips and Techniques
- Cream butter with sugar to lessen its grainy texture.
- Allow it to set inside the refrigerator before serving.
- Use a small cupcake pan or chocolate molder as an alternative to polvoron molder.
- Compact polvoron by using spoon to press it.
- Separate Oreo cream and Oreo cookies to avoid grated mixture from sticking to the cheese grater.
More Recipes for Sweet Treats
- How to Make Oreo Pastillas
Pastillas are a popular Filipino sweet treat. Nowadays, there are many different variations of pastillas; this particular version is flavored with Oreo cookies.
- Spanish Polvoron (Shortbread) Recipe Using Your Favorite Crackers
Taste the goodness of Spain's famous shortbread at home. This polvoron recipe comes with a twist by using any of your favorite crackers.
© 2019 Travel Chef