I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Breading mix, which is used as a coating for fried foods in order to add flavor and texture, is made by mixing any kind of flour with different seasonings. Since I always enjoy eating breaded fried foods, I came up with an exciting recipe with a Chinese twist.
What's the twist? I simply used Chinese Five Spice to add an authentic Chinese flavor. Chinese Five Spice consists of ground cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise, and Sichuan peppercorns. It is typically available in the spice section of the grocery store.
This recipe can be used with any kind of vegetables, meat, fish, and seafood. One idea is to use it for Chinese-style fried cream dory. Enjoy!
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
Approximately 2 1/4 cups
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Chinese Five Spice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
For Preparing the Ingredients:
- 2 medium bowls
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
For Mixing the Ingredients:
- stainless steel bowl
For Storing the Ingredients:
- Simply mix all of the ingredients together.
- Store the mixture in an airtight container for future use.
Tips and Techniques
- Store the mixture in an airtight container to keep it from absorbing moisture and attracting pests.
- Add more garlic if you want a stronger flavor.
- In case you want a wet-style coating or batter-style coating, wherein you add water to your mixture, feel free to check out my Four-Ingredient Crispy Batter Recipe for Anything and Everything.
© 2018 Travel Chef