How to Make Dynamite: A Filipino-Inspired Finger Food
Dynamite is a famous Filipino finger food, or pulutan. "Pulutan" is a general term that describes any snack that is served with alcoholic drinks during parties such as birthdays, christenings, holidays, and other events.
Dynamite is a deseeded green long chili, stuffed with a cheese and meat mixture and wrapped in a spring roll wrapper. It is then slowly deep-fried. It has a balance of savory, salty, and spicy flavors. Let me show you the simple way to make this delicious snack.
For the Dynamite Filling:
- 1/4 kilogram lean ground pork
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- 3 small onions, minced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, minced
- Water, as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil, for sauteeing
For the Dynamite:
- 40 egg roll wrappers
- 40 long green chilies, deseeded
- Block of cheese (any kind), cut into strips
- Water, to seal the wrapper
- Cooking oil, for frying
- preparation bowl
- measuring spoon
- ordinary metal spoon
- chopping board
- saute pan
- cooking spoon
- frying pan
- Cook the dynamite meat mixture. First, saute the onion. Add the meat and cook until browned.
- Add water as needed. Cook meat until tender. Add the carrots, followed by the mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let it cook.
- Once cooked, set aside and allow to cool down.
- Wash the long green chilies. Make a slit on one side of each chili. Scrape out the seeds. Repeat with the remaining chilies. Set aside.
- On a plate, lay a single egg roll wrapper. Place one long green chili at the left center of the wrapper.
- Insert strips of cheese inside the chili. Scoop at least two teaspoons of meat mixture inside the chili.
- Fold the egg roll wrapper from the bottom to the center once. Then fold it from the right side to the center. From there, start rolling it.
- Seal the top part of the wrapper with water.
- Repeat steps 6 to 9.
- Once all of the dynamite wrappers have been rolled, set up the frying pan.
- Heat up enough oil to deep-fry the dynamite.
- Fry each piece until golden brown. Drain excess oil.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
Tips and Techniques
- Do not use quick-melt cheese as it may react to heat faster.
- Replace egg roll wrapper with any kind of wrapper, such as spring roll wrapper.
- Serve dynamite with your favorite sauce such as aioli, tartar, or cocktail.
- As an alternative, use ground chicken or beef.
- You may add other vegetables, as well.
Questions & Answers
© 2019 Dred Cuan