I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods. I use minimal oil and don't use artificial colors or preservatives in my cooking.
A Healthy and Tasty Side Dish
Zunka is a tasty side dish made from curried chickpea flour plus a vegetable of your choice. In this article, I will show you how to make zunka with fenugreek leaves. I think that the nutty flavor of the flour pairs perfectly with the bitterness of the fenugreek leaves. We will add spices like coriander powder, red chili powder, and garam masala to give this yummy side dish a hot and spicy finish.
Serve this dish with jowar roti, flatbread, or chapati. Enjoy!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 packed cups fenugreek leaves, washed, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour (besan powder)
- 2 pinches hing (asafoetida powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 inch ginger, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt to taste
- Roast the chickpea flour over low heat till it changes its texture and the raw smell disappears. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add asafoetida powder. Throw in the minced ginger, garlic, and chopped onions. Saute over low heat till the onions become transparent.
- Add the spice powders (coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder). Mix well.
- Add chopped fenugreek leaves. Mix well with the seasonings. Cover the pan and cook till it is done.
- Add roasted gram flour. Gently mix while stirring continuously. Add salt. Add a few drops of water if necessary to combine the contents. Keep the heat on low.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Don't cover it. Fenugreek zunka is ready to serve.
- Serve with jowar roti or any other flatbread. Enjoy the taste!