How to Make Gising Gising: A Filipino-Inspired Dish
Gising gising is a famous dish from the Philippines. What does the name mean? Gising is a Tagalog term that literally means "wake up." This suggestion is that the spiciness of this dish will wake up anyone who eats it. Gising gising is a combination of pork and vegetables cooked with coconut milk and green finger chilies.
I tried this dish when I was a kid. Even though I was not a huge fan of spicy foods back then, I still enjoyed it because I love coconut milk. That childhood memory inspired me to re-create this dish at home. Allow me to share my own version of this delicious, spicy gising gising recipe. Enjoy!
- 150 grams green beans
- 100 grams ground pork
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons shrimp paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger, sliced
- 1 piece green finger pepper, sliced
- bird's eye chili, chopped (optional)
For Preparing the Ingredients:
- 1 large bowl
- 2 medium bowls
- 5 small bowls
For Cooking Gising Gising:
- cooking spoon
- Saute garlic, ginger, and onion.
- Add ground pork. Cook until slightly brown.
- Stir in green beans, green finger pepper, and shrimp paste.
- Pour in coconut milk. Let it simmer until the beans are tender.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Top with optional chopped bird's eye chili before serving.
Gising Gising Step-by-Step Procedure
Tips and Techniques
- Use the powdered version of garlic, onion, and coconut milk if fresh is not available.
- Add more green finger peppers to make the dish spicier.
- Replace shrimp paste with fish sauce.
- Feel free to choose other types of chilies available at your local market.
More Dishes Cooked in Coconut Milk
- Ginataang Kalabasa at Sitaw With Crispy Chicken Skin: A Filipino-Inspired Dish
Filipino cuisine offers many flavorful dishes that everyone can enjoy. This is one of my favorites: ginataang kalabasa at sitaw with crispy chicken skin.
- How to Cook Ginataang Malunggay With Fried Parrotfish
Ginataang malunggay with fried parrot fish is tasty dish that is healthy, as well.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Dred Cuan