How to Make Homemade Chicken Tocino: A Filipino-Inspired Dish
Tocino is a sweet, marinated meat such as beef, chicken, or pork. This dish is one of the famous Filipino "silog meals," meaning a dish that is traditionally served with garlic fried rice and eggs. Usually, I eat the pork version of this popular dish, so I decided to try making a chicken version that might be a little healthier. Enjoy the same recipe at home by following my easy-to-make chicken tocino.
- 1/8 cup pineapple juice, unsweetened
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon annatto powder
- 1 piece bay leaf
- 200 grams chicken
For Preparing the Ingredients:
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
For Cooking the Homemade Chicken Tocino:
- Frying pan
- Slotted spatula
Cook Time and Yield
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients except for the chicken.
- Marinate the chicken for a couple of hours or overnight.
- In a pan, heat water and add the marinated chicken together with the mixture.
- Simmer until tender. Adjust the amount of water if needed.
- Once water is fully absorbed, add small amount of oil and toss the meat.
- Serve with fried rice and sunny-side-up egg.
Tips and Techniques
- Adjust the amount of sugar to lessen its sweetness.
- Add more salt if preferred a bit salty tocino.
- Best serve this dish for breakfast.
- Marinate the chicken for longer hours to ensure a more tasty meat.
Questions & Answers
What is the nutrients of tocino?
I don't have the exact count, but if you need, you can use online calorie counters. I used chicken breast rather than pork meat. I also marinated it without any preservatives. If we are to compare it to process tocino available at the market, it's far better.Helpful 1
© 2018 Dred Cuan