How to Make Three-Ingredient Pastillas: A Filipino-Inspired Delicacy
Pastillas, or pastillas de leche, comes from the Spanish for "milk pills." Despite the origin of its name, this famous delicacy originated in the Philippines.
Traditionally, pastillas are made from the milk of a carabao, which is the native Filipino water buffalo. The milk is combined with butter and sugar and then cooked thoroughly to form a paste. Continuous stirring is required to avoid scorching.
Since I did not have fresh carabao milk in my refrigerator, I decided to try using powdered milk instead. The result turned out well, so I'd like to share my technique with my readers. I imagine that fresh carabao milk may be hard to find in many parts of the world, but by using powdered milk, you can enjoy this Filipino delicacy in your own home.
- 1 1/4 cups powdered milk
- 1/4 cup condensed milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Oil, for molding
- 2 large bowls
- 1 medium bowl
- measuring cups
For Molding and Packaging Homemade Pastillas:
- container or sealed plastic or cellophane wrap
Three-Ingredient Pastillas Step-by-Step Procedure
- Mix powdered milk and condensed milk in a bowl.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator. Chill for 1 hour or until the mixture becomes firm.
- Once set, remove the bowl from the refrigerator.
- Oil palm of your hands to easily roll the mixture.
- Start molding pastillas using a teaspoon. Roll into balls or cylindrical shapes.
- Coat the pastillas with sugar. Arrange them on a plate.
- Chill again for 1 hour or more before serving.
Tips and Techniques
- Use any brand of powdered milk.
- Replace milk with chocolate powder if desired.
- Add any extracts or essence you prefer; e.g., mango, banana, pineapple, etc.
- Make sure the mixture is sufficiently chilled. This will make the dough easier to shape.
Other Milk Candies
- How to Make Pastimallows
Have you ever heard of pastimallows? It is a combination of pastillas and marshmallows. Try this famous milk-based sweet delicacy with a twist that originated in the Philippines.
- How to Make Graham Balls Stuffed With Marshmallows
Graham crackers are one of my favorite crackers. Not only are they delicious on their own, but they also make a great addition to many dessert recipes. Let me show you my graham balls stuffed with marshmallows. It's so easy to make.
Questions & Answers
How can I store these pastillas and for how long?
I usually store mine inside the refrigerator for two weeks up to months. If you are living in countries that have cold weather, you may keep it in cold area of your house. It's similar on how supermarkets store it on their shelves. This recipe is preservative free so proper storage is necessary so that the milk won't get spoiled.Helpful 2
© 2018 Dred Cuan