Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Ready-to-Cook Instant Upma Mix
We often look for recipes that are easy and quick. Upma is a simple dish that doesn't need much prior planning—but making this dish with an instant mix allows you to enjoy this meal even more easily and quickly.
I made the instant upma mix this past weekend and stored it in a zip-lock pouch. Now, I can use the mix whenever I want to eat this yummy meal.
All I have to do is measure out the instant upma mix into a tin or mug, pour some boiling water over it, and cover it with a lid to make it airtight. After three minutes, I fluff with a fork, and the upma is ready to eat! I can also choose to add some boiled vegetables and grated coconut to make it more healthy and delicious.
Instant upma mix stays fresh up to 45 days when stored in an airtight container.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
3 cups of instant upma mix
Read More From Delishably
- 3 cups upma rava or medium-sized wheat semolina
- 3 teaspoons split chickpea (gram dal)
- 3 teaspoons white lentils (urad dal)
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 springs curry leaves
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, peeled, grated
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns, crushed (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon hing powder (asafoetida)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons oil, I used 4 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons ghee
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt, or as per taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, or as per taste
- 2 teaspoons coriander leaves, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional; if you want white-colored upma, don't use turmeric powder)
- In a mixer or blender, add green chilies, pieces of ginger, and peppercorns. Crush them. Collect the mix in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add split chickpea and white lentils. Saute on low heat until they turn golden brown.
- Add semolina. Continue to saute for about 5 minutes over low fire. Add chopped curry leaves, the ground mixture, and chopped coriander leaves (optional). Continue sauteing for another 2 minutes.
- Add hing powder, turmeric powder (optional), and lemon juice. Continue the sauteing for 2-3 minutes. Add salt and sugar. Mix well. Turn off the heat. Set aside to cool.
- Store the mix in an airtight container when it is completely cold. Use this ready-to-cook mix and make upma in a jiffy!
How to Make Upma Using Instant Mix
- Instant upma mix saves your precious time considerably by reducing the cooking time. You can make this meal in a jiffy simply by adding boiling water to this mix.
- Take one measure of instant upma mix in a mug and add 2 1/2 measures of boiling water. Cover it with a lid instantly. Open the lid after 3-4 minutes and add some more boiling water if needed. Fluff it with a fork.
- Aromatic and delicious upma is ready! Adding sauteed onions, boiled vegetables, and grated coconut makes it more healthy and tasty. (I added grated coconut, sauteed onions, and vegetables. It was sooo delicious!)
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on February 23, 2019:
Thanks. Yes, Rinita. This instant upma mix saves a lot of time. Also, you can use this ready to cook mix while touring.
Rinita Sen on February 23, 2019:
This is great! I had no idea we can make and store upma mix without preservatives. Thank you for this recipe.