How to Make Kalabasa Flower Salad
Kalabasa flowers, or squash blossoms, are the main ingredient in a popular salad that comes from certain regions of the Philippines. I usually have the chance to taste this kind of salad every time I visit Ilocos Norte, Philippines. The term kalabasa is the Tagalog word for squash. This flower is one of the edible flowers from the gourd family, and it is often added to vegetable dishes.
When I make kalabasa flower salad, I like to add bagoong, or fermented anchovy sauce. This adds exciting flavors to the dish. When you make this recipe, you should feel free to adjust the amount of any of the ingredients to match your preferences.
- 50 pieces kalabasa flowers
- 4 small stalks spring onion, chopped
- 3 medium-sized tomatos, sliced
- 3 tablespoons bagoong
- Water, for blanching
- Pinch salt
- Water, for ice bath
- Ice cubes, for ice bath
- chopping board
- stock pot
- Clean the kalabasa flowers by detaching the flower from the stalk. Discard the inner part of the flower. Wash each piece.
- Boil water in a stockpot. Add small amount of salt. First blanch the stems, followed immediately by the flowers. Cook for less than 1 minute.
- While cooking, prepare a bowl with water and ice cubes.
- Once cooked, immediately remove stems and flowers from the boiling water and submerge them in the ice bath.
- Allow it to cool a little bit before draining the water.
- Assemble the salad by adding all the ingredients into a bowl.
Tips and Techniques
- Submerge blanched vegetables in an ice bath (bowl of water with ice cubes) to stop the cooking process.
- Add salt to the boiling water to give an initial flavor to the blanched vegetables.
- Bring water to boil first before adding the vegetables to lessen the cooking time.
- Serve kalabasa flower salad as a side dish or a vegetable main dish.
Other Salad Recipes
- How to Make Pokpoklo (Seaweed) Salad
Have you ever tried to eat seaweed? Try my healthy and delicious pokpoklo salad recipe that perfectly complements any fried or grilled dishes.
- How to Make a Sweet Chicken Macaroni Salad
Sweet chicken macaroni salad with the homemade mayonnaise dressing. A simple and sweet treat for everybody.
Questions & Answers
© 2019 Dred Cuan