I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
A popular Sicilian frozen dessert, granita is a combination of water, sugar, and fruit flavorings. Kalamansi is one of the most common citrus fruit in the Philippines. It has a green rind and sour flesh, and it is often used to flavor Filipino noodle dishes. Inspired by my last trip to Sicily, I created a recipe for kalamansi granita.
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup kalamansi juice
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 small bowl
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
Read More From Delishably
- wire whisk
- container or loaf pan
- In a pot, add the water. Turn on the heat on high.
- Add the sugar and stir. Mix until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the kalamansi juice. Stir until well blended.
- Turn off the heat. Allow it to cool down.
- Once cooled, transfer the mixture to a container.
- Freeze the granita for about 2 hours or until slightly set.
- Remove the granita from the freezer. Scrape the slightly frozen mixture using a fork to form crystals.
- Freeze it again until the mixture is completely set.
- Again, scrape the granita using a fork before serving.
- Serve in a glass.
Step-by-Step Procedure: Kalamansi Granita
Tips and Techniques
- Freezing time may vary. It will depend on the temperature of your freezer and the type of container you use.
- Use any sugar available.
- Replace the brown sugar with honey to make a healthier version.
- Steep mint leaves into the granita mixture to create a more refreshing flavor.
- Best served during the summer season.
More Delicious Desserts
- How to Make Eggless Tropical Fruit Fritters
Try my eggless tropical fruit fritters using my homemade four-ingredient crispy batter recipe with a twist. This dish is best served as a dessert or as a snack.
- How to Make an Egg-Free Fruit Cocktail Pie
Do you love fruit pies, but you are unable to eat eggs? This sweet treat recipe might be for you. This is my recipe for an egg-free fruit cocktail pie.
© 2019 Travel Chef