I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Kilawin na isda, or kinilaw na isda, is the Filipino version of the famous Peruvian fish ceviche. This dish is typically made with freshly caught raw fish marinated in citrus juices and seasonings. In this recipe, I used basi vinegar as an alternative for citrus juices such as lemon, lime, or kalamansi. Basi vinegar, which is made from sugar cane, is a famous vinegar from the Ilocos region of Northern part of the Philippines.
Author's Note: The quantities listed below are meant as guidelines. You may adjust the measurements up or down, as you like.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
3 to 4 servings
- 500 grams isda (fish), deboned
- 1 cup basi vinegar
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- medium bowl
- 4 small bowls
- chopping board
- In a bowl, add all of the ingredients. Mix well to ensure that the marinade evenly covers the fish.
- Refrigerate for around 2 hours to let all of flavors seep into the fish.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Techniques
- For smaller fish, you may choose to leave the bones in.
- Adjust the measurements of each ingredient as desired.
- For flavor variations, combine the vinegar with citrus juice.
- For a spicier dish, add chilies to the marinade.
More Delicious Seafood Recipes
- How to Cook Filipino-Style Carp Fish Bola Bola
Learn how to prepare carp fish bola bola, a flavorful recipe from the Philippines.
- How to Cook Breaded Fish and Chips
Fish and chips is a popular snack in Europe that originated in Great Britain. In my simple recipe, I put a Japanese twist on the snack by using Panko bread crumbs.
© 2020 Travel Chef
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on April 08, 2020:
I agree with you. With only few ingredients, I can make my version of kilawin na isda with basi vinegar.
Pamela Oglesby from Sunny Florida on April 07, 2020:
This dishs sounds very good snf not very difficult to prepare. Thank you.