How to Make Knol-Khol Soup/Kohlrabi Soup
A Highly Nutritious Winter Soup
Kohlrabi (knol khol) is a mildly sweet vegetable known for its fiber and crunchiness. This soup is moderately thin, garlicky, and appetizing. I used a small amount of cinnamon and clove to get a nice punch. Tomatoes, onions, and garlic are the other ingredients used here.
Kohlrabi is notably rich in dietary fiber and vitamins. It has few calories, little fat, and no cholesterol. It is a good source of vitamin C, other vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
This soup is a winter winner that can keep you warm for hours. This puree is a complementary blend of veggies and spices.
Here, I share the detailed recipe with you.
- 1 bowl kohlrabi(knol khol), peeled, thinly chopped
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup onions, roughly chopped
- 1/4 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 cloves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp butter or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1/3 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped, for garnishing
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Kohlrabi (Knol-Khol) Soup:
- Heat oil or butter in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in garlic, clove, cinnamon, and chopped onions.
- Saute on a low heat till onions and garlic turn golden brown on the edges.
- Add chopped kohlrabi. Add some salt. Continue stir-cooking till it becomes a bit dry.
- Next, add some water. Cover the pan. Cook for about 8 minutes on medium heat.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Continue cooking till tomatoes get slightly mashed. Sprinkle some water and keep it wet throughout. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer this to a mixer/blender once it cools down a little. Add some water. Grind to get a smooth puree.
- Strain it to remove the fiber contents. Collect the puree in the same pan. Add water to adjust the consistency.
- This soup should be moderately thin. Hence, add about 5 cups of water. Add pepper powder and remaining salt.
- Bring the mix to a nice boil. Simmer for a minute. Turn off the heat. Throw in finely chopped fresh green coriander.
- Now, your favorite kohlrabi soup is ready to serve!
- Pour it equally into four bowls. Garnish with a few chopped coriander leaves. Also, you can top with some butter.
- Enjoy sipping this awesome soup on a cold evening!
Nutritional Information of Kohlrabi(Knol-Khol) Soup
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 84 mg||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|