I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
A Highly Nutritious Winter Soup
Kohlrabi is a mildly sweet vegetable known for its fiber and crunchiness. This soup is moderately thin, garlicky, and appetizing. I used a small amount of cinnamon and clove to get a nice punch. Tomatoes, onions, and garlic are the other ingredients used here.
Kohlrabi is notably rich in dietary fiber and vitamins. It has few calories, little fat, and no cholesterol. It is a good source of vitamin C, other vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
This soup is a winter winner that can keep you warm for hours. This puree is a complementary blend of veggies and spices.
Here, I share a detailed recipe for you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Four bowls of soup
- 1 bowl kohlrabi (knol khol), peeled, thinly chopped
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup onions, roughly chopped
- 1/4 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 cloves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/3 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, finely chopped, for garnishing
- Heat oil or butter in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in garlic, clove, cinnamon, and chopped onions.
- Saute on a low heat till onions and garlic turn golden brown on the edges.
- Add chopped kohlrabi. Add some salt. Continue stir-cooking till it becomes a bit dry.
- Next, add some water. Cover the pan. Cook for about 8 minutes on medium heat.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Continue cooking till tomatoes get slightly mashed. Sprinkle in some water and keep it wet throughout. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer this to a mixer/blender once it cools down a little. Add some water. Grind to get a smooth puree.
- Strain it to remove the fiber contents. Collect the puree in the same pan. Add water to adjust the consistency.
- This soup should be moderately thin. Hence, add about 5 cups of water. Add pepper powder and remaining salt.
- Bring the mix to a nice boil. Simmer for a minute. Turn off the heat. Throw in finely chopped fresh green coriander.
- Now, your favorite kohlrabi soup is ready to serve!
- Pour it equally into four bowls. Garnish with a few chopped coriander leaves. Also, you can top with some butter.
- Enjoy sipping this awesome soup on a cold evening!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on January 23, 2018:
Thanks. Yeah..you are right. Kohlrabi is a not so famous veggie that has many nutrients. This humble vegetable is known for its' fiber and vitamins. Use this often for good health.
Lizolivia from Central USA on January 23, 2018:
Thank you for the recipe. I was not familiar with kohlrabi before I came across the seed packets several years ago; it has grown well in my garden and this reminds me to sow the seeds soon.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on January 19, 2018:
Thanks Thelma. It tastes different from other regular soups. If you look at the health benefits, you will surely try this delicious soup.
Thelma Alberts from Germany and Philippines on January 18, 2018:
Yummy! I love Kohlrabi but have not eaten this as soup. This sounds delicious and it makes me drool. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I would love to try this as soon as possible.