Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
A Delicious, Crunchy Side Dish in 20 Minutes
Long beans are my favorite. They are seasonal and a bit rare here. I like their unique aroma and taste. My parents used to grow them in our fields. As kids, we occasionally used to eat a few fresh pods off the vine. They are mild, sweet, and crunchy when raw.
You can make a stir-fry side dish with these beans. For that, you have to chop them in about one-inch pieces. Next, you stir-fry them with some oil and slit green chilies. After that, you toss in the sugar, hing powder, and salt. Once they are cooked and still crunchy, you add some grated coconut and mix well. Your easy and delicious stir-fry is done!
Serve them as a side dish for a meal or eat one or two tablespoons as a snack. They go well with rice, roti, flatbread, etc. Now, let me show you how to make this simple long bean side dish.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 bowl yardlong beans, cut into one-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 2–3 green chilies, slit, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp sugar, or jaggery powder
- 6 curry leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 pinches asafetida/hing powder, (optional, adds nice aroma and flavor)
- Heat oil in a wok or deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Add the slit green chilies, hing powder, and curry leaves. Sauté on a low fire for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped long beans then throw in the salt and sugar and mix well. Stir-cook on a low fire for 3–4 minutes.
- Add very little water. Cover the pan and cook for 6–7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- By this time, The beans should be well-cooked but still crunchy. Add the grated coconut and mix well, then turn off the stove.
- Your favorite long bean stir-fry is ready to serve! Transfer it into a serving bowl.
- Eat rice, roti, or flatbread with this crunchy side dish. You can also eat 1–2 tablespoons on their own as a crunchy snack. I hope you enjoy this tasty and delightful dish!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on October 30, 2017:
Thanks. This side dish is not so spicy. This is long beans only. When googled with the image, the name appeared was yard long beans. I will once again check the correct name.
peachy from Home Sweet Home on October 30, 2017:
oh that is called yard long beans? Here it is called long beans, very crunchy beans but a bit raw. Taste good with spicy paste and onions