Malaysian-Style Glazed Donuts (Kuih Keria)
Malaysian-Style Glazed Donuts
Everyone loves donuts. They're sweet, fluffy, and have various types of toppings and flavorings. This treat is usually made from a risen and sticky dough that is then deep-fried and glazed with sugar. Nowadays, you can find this pastry in different styles and shapes, as it is a very popular snack.
Today, I'm making Malaysian-style glazed donuts. Note that the texture is really nothing like regular donuts. However, they are very simple to make because only a few ingredients are needed. Malaysian donuts, locally known as kuih keria, are a type of dessert that is very popular for its sugary taste. Kuih keria is typically a deep-fried sweet potato batter that is coated with a simple sugar syrup. It is often served with coffee or tea. If you make this, you will be surprised how the simple ingredients can make a sweet and simple dessert for you and your family.
- 2 pounds organic sweet potatoes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into small chunks.
- In a pot, add water, potatoes, and a pinch of salt. Then steam the sweet potato chunks over boiling water until soft enough to mash.
- Remove from heat, and place the sweet potatoes into another bowl for mashing. Allow it to cool.
- Add flour into the mashed potatoes and fold them together. Use your hands to form a dough. Remember, you can add a little bit more flour if the dough is still sticky in your hands.
- On a wooden board, place the dough and flatten the dough with your hands. Take a donut cutter to shape the donuts.
- Let the donuts rest for five minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat.
- Fry the donuts for a few minutes or until it turns golden brown on each side.
- Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- For the glaze, boil the sugar and water together on medium heat while stirring until it thickens up.
- Add the donuts and turn off the heat. Make sure you coat the donuts quickly as the sugar will dry up and harden quite fast.
- Enjoy donuts with a cup of coffee or tea!
Photo TutorialClick thumbnail to view full-size
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Liza