How to Make Mango Raita (Mavina Hannu Sasive)
Mangoes Are the "King of Fruits"
There are umpteen mango varieties. Many are sweet and very tasty when they're ripe. Though they are pleasurable to eat as is, you can also use them to make many types of mouthwatering dishes.
Mangoes are high in antioxidants that are beneficial for your health. They allegedly protect against cancers of the colon, breast, and prostate, and possibly against leukemia, as well. They may also help lower cholesterol, improve eyesight, clear up your skin, and alkalize your whole body. They may also help with diabetes and improve libido.
This mango raita is made with ripe mangoes. You can use any variety, but the ones with thick, clear, smooth flesh and a sweet-tangy taste are the best for this dish.
Serve mango raita with plain rice, dosa, chapati, or any type of flatbread. This is a true crowd pleaser.
Here we go for the detailed recipe.
- 3 medium size mangoes, ripe, peeled, flesh mashed
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 dry red chilies, broken
- 2 pinches hing (asafoetida powder)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp for grinding, 3/4 tsp for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp white lentils (urad dal), for the tempering
- a spring curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1 tsp ghee or oil, for the tempering
- 3/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/4 cup curd, optional, if the mango is only sweet and not at all tangy.
- Wash mangoes. Peel them. Collect the flesh. Mash it. Put it in a mixing bowl.
- Put grated coconut to a mixer or blender. Add broken dry red chilies and mustard seeds as per instructions.
- Grind, adding some water to get a smooth sauce. Transfer it to the mixing bowl.
- Blend it with the mango pulp. Add salt. Add curd. There is no need to add curd if the mangoes are at least a bit tangy.
- Mix well. Adjust the consistency by adding water. Now, the raita is ready.
- This raita should be moderately thick. Don't add too much water.
- Now, you have to make a tempering. For that, take some oil or ghee in a small pan.
- Heat it. Add mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add asafoetida powder and curry leaves. Mix well. Turn off the heat.
- Pour it on the raita. Stir it once. Your favorite mango raita (mavina hannu sasive) is ready.
- Serve the raita with plain rice, dosa, chapati, or flatbread. Enjoy eating the combo!