I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Masala Akki Rotti
Masala akki rotti, or spicy rice flour flatbread, is a popular Indian breakfast dish. This delicious flatbread gets its flavor from onions, green chilies, carrots, coconut, cumin seeds, curry leaves, and coriander leaves. The recipe is quick and easy, and you can have breakfast on the table in just 30 minutes!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Read More From Delishably
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped curry leaves
- 2 green chilies (not-so-hot variety), finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 5 teaspoons oil (1 teaspoon per rotti)
- Add rice flour in a mixing bowl. Add all of the other ingredients (except for the oil). Mix. Knead, adding water little-by-little, to get a firm but pliable dough.
- Take a big lemon-sized portion of dough and form a ball. Place it on the center of a greased plastic sheet or banana leaf. Spread the dough evenly with greased fingers to make a moderately thin disc of about 6 inches in diameter (see photo for reference).
- Heat a griddle or pan and sprinkle a few drops of oil on it. Place the flatbread dough in the center. Add a few drops of oil on the top. Cook it on medium-low heat for 2 minutes. It should become golden on the bottom.
- Flip it and roast the other side for 2–3 minutes. Add a little oil on the top.
- Remove the flatbread and repeat the process to make additional rottis using the remaining dough.
- Serve with spicy chutney or pickle.