Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Delicious and Flavorful Flatbread
Fenugreek is my favorite vegetable. I like its aroma as well as its health benefits. It helps decrease cholesterol and blood sugar levels, and it is also a good source of protein, iron, and minerals.
Methi thepla (fenugreek leaf flatbread) is delicious, and it has an appetizing aroma. You can store these flatbreads for a few days if you roast them properly. For this reason, it is a favorite dish for travelers.
Making methi thepla is very easy. You need to place all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and knead to form a firm dough, just as you would for other types of flatbread. Then you divide the dough into small portions, roll them into small disks, and cook them on a flat pan.
I made 10 flatbreads in about 40 minutes. Now, let me share with you the detailed recipe to make this mouthwatering dish!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 3 people
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 1 heaped cup fenugreek leaves, washed, stems removed, and chopped
- 1/4 cup curds or yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 green chili
- 1/4 inch ginger
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon carom seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons oil, for the dough
- 1/2 teaspooon salt, or to taste
- Oil or ghee, for cooking (1 teaspoon per flatbread)
- In a blender or mortar and pestle, crush ginger, garlic, and green chili to form a paste.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ginger/garlic/chili paste, wheat flour, chopped fenugreek leaves, turmeric powder, sesame seeds, carom seeds, salt, and oil.
- Knead the dough, adding just enough water to form a firm and pliable dough. Cover the dough with a moist cloth or kitchen vessel. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions. Dust with wheat flour and make round balls.
- Roll each ball into a 6-inch diameter disc with the help of a rolling pin.
- Heat a griddle or flat pan. Add a few drops of oil or ghee. Place a disc in the center. Roast both sides, adding a bit of oil or ghee until it gets cooked on both sides. Gently press the edges with a spatula to cook them evenly.
- Remove and set aside on a serving plate. Continue cooking all flatbreads in the same way.
- Serve methi thepla with pickle, curd, or curry. Enjoy!