My husband and I love exploring new places. Currently, we reside in Utah. Someday, we would like to travel all across the United States.
Similar to Vietnamese Pho
When I visit my hometown, one of my favorite dishes to cook is mi sup, or chicken noodles. This dish is easy and quick to make, and it is very similar to the popular Vietnamese dish called pho.
The signature of mi sup is the broth. It has a very intense flavor that comes from the spices that are used, including star anise, cinnamon sticks, cloves, green cardamom, ginger, garlic, and shallots. I remember when I was a kid, I didn't like the taste of these spices, especially the clove. However, as I got older, I started appreciating them.
To prevent the spices from floating all over the pot, you can wrap them in a cheesecloth or a soaking bag. Unfortunately, I didn't have cheesecloth handy, so I decided to chop the shallots and garlic. It turned out fine.
Read More From Delishably
Please note that this dish can easily be made vegetarian by omitting the chicken and substituting vegetable bouillon for chicken bouillon.
- 2 packets yellow noodles or rice noodles
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 a chicken, cut into small pieces
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamom
- 5 cloves
- 2 potatoes. cut into cubes
- 1 chicken bouillon
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Chinese mustard green or bok choy, steamed
- Fried onions
- Scallions, thinly sliced
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Condiments (e.g., sweet and spicy soy sauce)
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Saute the cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom, star anise, shallots, ginger, and garlic into the pot. Stir for a few minutes, or until it becomes fragrant.
- Slowly, pour the water into the pot. Combine the chicken and potatoes into the broth. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Let it simmer for 40 minutes.
- Lastly, add the chicken bouillon and salt. Turn the heat off.
- Place the yellow noodles into a serving bowl. Top with green mustard, scallions, hard-boiled eggs, fried onions, and sweet and spicy soy sauce.
- Pour hot broth over the top.
- The chicken noodles are ready to eat!
© 2018 Liza