Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make simple, nutritious, and tasty foods at home.
Unique Oat and Chickpea Pancakes
Traditionally, cheela is made with chickpea flour (besan), but this recipe includes oats, vegetables, and spices, as well. This cheela is quick and easy to make; I was able to make these pancakes in just 30 minutes.
Oats are considered to be incredibly nutritious. They help to control blood sugar levels, lower cholesterol levels, and improve the immune system. They are also rich in antioxidants and soluble fiber.
Besan is a good source of protein, soluble fiber, good fat, vitamins, and folates, all of which is helpful for weight loss, heart health, blood sugar control, etc. Also, it is an ideal food for gluten-sensitive people.
I have used many varieties of veggies, herbs, and spices in these pancakes. They not only add nutrition but also make them scrumptious.
Serve instant oats besan cheela for breakfast or dinner. Enjoy it with tomato sauce, pickle, or chutney.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup besan (chickpea flour)
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup bottle gourd, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup capsicum, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon oil per cheela
- Heat a deep-bottomed pan and add oats. Saute until they become warm. Turn off the heat and allow the oats to cool. Add the cooled oats to a mixer jar and pulse a few times to get a coarse oat powder.
- In a mixing bowl, add oats, besan (chickpea flour), grated carrots, grated bottle gourd, chopped capsicum, chopped coriander leaves, chili flakes, chopped green chilies, cumin seeds, coriander powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add a very small amount of water and make a smooth, semi-solid batter. Let is rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a griddle or flat pan. Grease it with some oil. Keep the heat at medium-high.
- Make 3 or 4 small cheela on the pan with the batter. Spread each of them a little. Add a few drops of oil to the top of each pancake.
- Cover the pan and cook for 1 or 2 minutes, until the bottom of the pancakes become golden brown.
- Flip each cheela with a spatula. Add a few drops of oil to the top. Allow the other side of the pancake to become golden brown.
- Transfer the cheela from the pan to a serving plate. Cook the rest of the cheela with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney, pickle, or tomato sauce. Enjoy eating the healthy and scrumptious oats besan cheela for breakfast or dinner.