Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Radish Is a Powerhouse of Many Essential Nutrients
Radish raita is made of raw grated radish; hence, all of the root vegetable's wonderful nutrients remain intact. Raw chopped onions give the raita a crunchiness as well as a nice flavor. Adding raw coconut sauce is optional; however, it helps reduce the strong odor of radish and makes the raita more delicious and nutrient-rich.
Although not everyone is partial to radish, it undeniably imparts many health benefits. This root vegetable is a good source of potassium, vitamin C, antioxidants, and fiber. It also contains anthocyanins, which help the heart function properly. The potassium helps to lower blood pressure. Vitamin C helps improve immunity. Fiber aids in digestion and bowel movements. And to top it all off, radish is good for skin health and overall hydration.
Serve radish raita with cooked rice. You can use radish raita as a side dish with many types of meals. Enjoy this raita and reap the health benefits!
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
For the raita:
- 1 cup radish, peeled, grated
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 1 cup thick curd or yogurt
- 1 green chili
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
For the tempering:
- 2 teaspoons ghee or oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal or white lentils
- a few curry leaves
- 1/2 dry red chili, broken
- 2 pinches hing (asafoetida) powder
- Wash, peel, and grate the radish. I used one medium-sized radish for making this raita. Collect the gratings in a mixing bowl. Add chopped onions to it.
- In a mixer jar, add coconut gratings, mustard seeds, and green chilies. While adding a very small amount of water, grind to get a smooth thick paste. Add it to the same bowl.
- Add curd and salt to the bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Make the tempering: Heat ghee or oil in a small pan. Throw in the mustard seeds and let them crackle. Add the white lentils (urad dal), red chili, and curry leaves. When the lentils become golden brown, turn off the heat.
- Add hing powder. Mix well. Add this mixture to the raita. Now, your favorite radish raita is ready to serve!
- Serve with cooked rice. You can use it as a side dish for all types of meals. This raita is not only nutritious but also soothing to the stomach. Enjoy the taste and reap the health benefits!