How to Make Crispy Nippattu (Deep-Fried Spicy Rice Crackers)
A Mouthwatering Evening Snack!
Nippattu are deep-fried spicy rice crackers. They are a popular South Indian festival snack that is prepared with rice flour, fried gram, peanuts, and spices. Spicy, crunchy, and flavorful, they make an awesome evening snack or party appetizer.
Making nippattu is very quick and easy. I was able to make about 20 large crackers in about 45 minutes.
- 2 cups rice flour
- 3/4 cup peanuts
- 3/4 cup fried gram (hurigadale)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (hing) powder
- 3 tablespoons hot oil
- 4 tablespoons fine semolina (sooji), also called as chiroti rave
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maida (all-purpose-flour)
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds (optional)
- oil for deep-frying
- In a large mixing bowl, add rice flour, semolina, all-purpose flour, red chili powder, salt, asafoetida powder and optional sesame seeds,
- In a mixer or blender, add peanuts and fried gram. Pulse 2-3 times for short durations to get a rough mixture.
- Add curry leaves to the mixer or blender and pulse once again, so that they get chopped.
- Add this mixture to the mixing bowl.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a tempering pan. When the oil becomes smoking hot, pour it into the mixing bowl.
- Mix the ingredients with a spoon. If you mix them with your fingers, hot oil might burn your fingers.
- Little by little, add water in order to prepare a firm and pliable dough with your fingers. Cover it with a cloth.
- Heat oil for deep-frying. Pinch out a lemon-sized portion of the dough. Shape it like a patty. Place the patty in the center of a greased plastic sheet or butter paper.
- Pat it with greased fingers until you get neither thick nor thin disc. Make 3 such discs.
- When the oil is hot enough for frying, gently slide the discs into the moderately hot oil.
- Keep heat medium-high until the discs become a bit crunchy. Afterward, reduce heat to a minimum. Turn them occasionally to ensure uniform frying.
- Once they become golden brown and crispy, remove and place them on an absorbent paper towel. Frying each batch takes about 5 minutes.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining dough.
- Allow them to cool completely.
- Enjoy eating them as evening snacks or between-meal snacks. They will keep for over a month when stored in an airtight container.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 8 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|