How to Make Pudina Rice (Mint Leaf Rice)
Pudina Rice/Mint Leaf Rice/Pudina Pulao
Mint Leaf Rice Is Mouthwatering and Nutritious!
I like to make meals that are both mouthwatering and nutritious for my family—but it can be a challenge to meet that standard day after day. We're all busy, and we often reach for the simple and quick recipes because we're pressed for time. If this challenge sounds familiar, I would urge you to try mint leaf rice, or mint pulao. It is an all-in-one dish that you can serve for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.
I am able to prepare this dish in just 30 minutes, and it makes enough to satisfy four people. I used mint leaves and some spices to make this aromatic and gorgeous dish.
This dish is not particularly spicy. If you're looking for an additional kick, you can serve it with cucumber raita.
Let's learn how to make mint leaf rice.
- 2 cups (pressed) mint leaves
- 1/4 cup (pressed) coriander leaves
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/4 inch ginger, chopped
- 3 green chilies
- 2 dry red chilies, broken
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon split chickpea
- 1 teaspoon white lentils
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen green peas, optional, enhances nutrition and taste
- 1 1/2 cups long rice (basmati rice), or any other rice, cooked al dente
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder, optional, for strong flavor, I didn't use
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil, or one tablespoon ghee and one tablespoon oil
- Wash rice. Cook it al dente. Set aside.
- In a mixer or blender, add chopped onions, mint leaves, coriander leaves, garlic cloves, ginger, green chilies, red chilies, and grated coconut. Make a paste. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Add split chickpea and white lentils. Saute until they turn golden brown.
- Add fresh/frozen green peas. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Put the ground paste. Saute over low fire for 2-3 minutes or until the excess moisture evaporates from the paste.
- Add cooked rice. Also, add salt and garam masala powder (if you want to add). Gently mix the contents. Check for the taste. Adjust salt accordingly. Turn off the heat.
- Aromatic and gorgeous pudina rice/mint leaf rice is now ready to serve!
- Put 4 tablespoons of mint leaf rice on each plate and serve with cucumber raita on the side. Serving mint leaf rice with tomato sauce or any other yogurt-based side dish makes an alternative.
- Enjoy eating this combo for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or for dinner!
Pudina Rice (Mint Leaf Rice, or Pudina Pulao)
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 61 g||20%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 7 g||28%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 6 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|