Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 big cup chopped yellow pumpkin
- 1 big cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 2–3 green chilies, crushed
- 3–4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 inch ginger, crushed
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp oil, for the dough
- 2–3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- oil or ghee, 1/4 teaspoon for each paratha
- Take a portion of yellow pumpkin and remove the seeds and skin. Chop the flesh into small cubes. Boil them in a container using just enough water to cover them. Cook them until they become soft, then turn off the stove.
- Alternatively, you can cook them in a pressure cooker up to 2 whistles then simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and open the cooker lid when the pressure releases naturally.
- Drain the excess water from the pumpkin cubes. Mash them nicely so that there are no lumps.
- In the meantime, crush ginger, garlic, and green chilies. You can use a vegetable chopper for this.
- Put pumpkin pulp into a wide mixing bowl. Add ginger-garlic-green chili paste, wheat flour, gram flour (chickpea flour), finely chopped coriander leaves, sesame seeds, carom seeds, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, oil, sugar, and salt.
- Mix them together and knead gently, adding water little by little to get a smooth and pliable dough.
- Divide the dough into many lemon-sized balls. Roll each of them while dusting wheat flour to make 6–7-inch diameter discs.
- Heat a griddle or flat pan. Add a few drops of oil on it. Place a disc on it. Keep the heat on medium-high. Add a few drops oil or ghee and cook it on both sides until they are golden brown.
- Cook all of the pancakes like this. Once you've turned all of your dough into flatbreads, your yellow pumpkin parathas are ready to serve!
- Serve hot with pickle or tomato sauce. Enjoy eating these aromatic flatbreads!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on October 11, 2017:
Thanks Lizolivia, for reading my hub. Yeah..these parathas are wholesome dish that are very delicious and easy to make. Give it a try!
Lizolivia from Central USA on October 11, 2017:
Wow, those look fabulous and healthy!