How to Make Rosemary Olive Oil Lavash: An Armenian-Inspired Flatbread
Lavash is an Armenian unleavened flatbread that is made with flour, salt, and water. Authentic lavash bread is baked inside a clay oven called a tandoor. There are two kinds of lavash bread: a soft one that is similar to a wrap, and a hard one that is similar to a cracker. The latter kind has a longer shelf life.
I started to enjoy eating flatbreads during my visits to the Middle East and Europe. This bread is commonly paired with foods with sauces, or they are used for wraps.
When I started making this bread at home, I came up with a recipe with an Italian twist of rosemary and olive oil. This combination is commonly used for Italian foccacia bread, but now I have borrowed it for my lavash. I hope you enjoy the recipe!
- 300 grams all-purpose flour
- 150 grams water
- 30 grams oil
- 8 grams salt
- olive oil
For Preparing the Ingredients:
- 1 large bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- 2 small bowls
- rolling pin
- measuring scale
For Cooking the Rosemary Olive Oil Lavash:
- baking sheet
- silicone mat
- Mix all the dough ingredients. Knead until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Pre-heat the oven at 230°C or 450°F.
- Roll out one portion of the dough. Make it as thin or thick as possible if desired.
- Sprinkle rosemary on top. Make one last roll to slightly push the rosemary into the dough.
- Drizzle some olive oil on top.
- Bake the flatbreads for at least 6 minutes.
Tips and Techniques
- Bake for a longer period of time to make it crispier.
- Reduce the amount of heat to make it softer.
- Add other herbs and spices, if desired.
- Divide the dough into smaller portions to make smaller flatbreads.
- Replace rolling pin with a wine bottle to roll the dough.
- Cook the lavash on the stovetop if an oven is not available.
- Serve this with a dip like cheesy corn and sausage dip.
Another Flatbread Recipe
- How to Make Flatbread Without Yeast
Learn to make this easy flatbread without yeast at home. You will only need four ingredients to enjoy this delicious bread, which will perfectly complement many meals.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Dred Cuan