I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Salchipapas is a popular type of Peruvian street food. It is a combination of beef sausages and French fries typically served with sauces such as ketchup. The word salchipapas is derived from the Spanish words salchicha, meaning sausage, and papa, meaning potato. At times, a fried egg or cheese is added on top.
As an alternative, I used hot dogs to replace the sausages. Then I served it with my homemade garlic aioli. Check out my recipe to enjoy this Peruvian street food in your own home.
- 1 cheese dog, sliced
- 1 hot dog, sliced
- 250 grams French fries
- Cooking oil
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 medium plate
Read More From Delishably
- saute pan
- frying pan
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- Slightly oil the pan. Cook hot dogs. Set aside.
- Heat enough oil in the pan for deep-frying.
- Deep-fry the French fries. Cook until slightly tender.
- Remove the fries. Allow them to cool down a bit.
- Fry the French fries again. Cook until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss fries and hot dogs. Serve with your favorite sauce.
Salchipapas Step-by-Step Procedure
Tips and Techniques
- Use any kind of hot dogs.
- Replace hot dogs with sausages.
- Double-frying the French fries makes them more crunchy.
- Serve salchipapas with any dip or condiment of your choice.
French Fries Around the World
- Patso: A Turkish-Inspired Sandwich
Do you love French fries? Try my version of Turkish patso, a sandwich stuffed with fries.
- How to Make Curry Fries: An Irish-Inspired Snack
Everyone loves French fries, but have you tried this version, known in Ireland as curry fries? Let me show you an easy way to prepare this delicious snack.
© 2018 Travel Chef