I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods. I use minimal oil and don't use artificial colors or preservatives in my cooking.
Steamed Vegetable Cake to Start the Day Healthy
If you are thinking of making a nutritious and mouthwatering breakfast, lunch, or dinner, try this savory vegetable cake. It is quick and easy to make in a steamer, and it comes out delightfully spongy, fluffy, and flavorful. Serve it with green chutney and tomato sauce to make it even more delicious.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 4 people
For the batter:
- 3/4 cup wheat semolina
- 3/4 cup wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons health mix powder (optional; available in Indian markets)
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons capsicum (bell pepper), finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons carrot, grated
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 3-4 tablespoons curds or yogurt
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fruit salt or baking soda (I used Eno fruit salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 potato, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 2 pinches sugar (optional, to balance the taste)
For the seasoning:
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 pinches hing powder
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients listed under "for the batter," except lemon juice and fruit salt. Mix well.
- Mix the batter well by adding water little by little to get a lump-free idli batter consistency.
- Cover the batter and let it rest for 6-7 minutes. This allows the batter to thicken.
- Check the batter after it has rested. If necessary, add some water to get the idli batter consistency. Mix once again.
- Keep a steamer or cooker ready for making the cake. Also, grease a tin in which to make the cake.
- Add lemon juice and fruit salt to the batter. Gently mix the batter. You will observe the batter increases in volume after adding the fruit salt.
- Gently pour the batter into the tin. Tap once. Place the tin inside the steamer. Steam-cook for about 15-16 minutes. If using a pressure cooker, don't place the weight.
- Remove the tin from the steamer and set aside to cool. Run a knife along the edge of the cake. Turn out the tin upside-down onto a plate.
- You now have a big, round, and spongy cake. If you want to eat it right away without adding seasoning, cut the cake into small pieces. Enjoy eating with green chutney and tomato sauce.
- To make the cake yummier, add seasoning. To make the seasoning, heat oil in a large pan. Throw in mustard seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves, and hing powder. Saute until mustard seeds pop. Keep the flame low.
- Gently place the whole cake in the pan. Roast both the sides until golden brown. Turn off the heat.
- Place the cake on a plate. Cut it in small pieces. Serve hot with green chutney and tomato sauce. Enjoy this delicious and filling cake!